Damp patch in bedroom near to chimney stack

Pat Doyle

I need some advice please. There is a damp patch in my back bedroom which was there 20 years ago when I bought the house. Was advised to take the chimney stack down and have air vents installed in the walls both outside and in. Then had a new roof and guttering about 5 years later. Damp was still there after it rains so had all the plaster taken off the ceiling and wall and re plastered. Wetpatch still there after heavy rain.

Had the house rendered about 7 years ago and wall ties done. 
l have lost count of the roofers who have been out and couldn’t solve the problem. I was told it was condensation and to leave the window slightly open which I have done but it doesn’t make much difference.

I decided to climb into the loft myself as not one of the roofers wanted to look up there. I have attached a photo of a gap which showed daylight and want to know is this right. One of the roofers took the tiles off and put another layer of felt down and on the picture it looks to me like a drip mark.

I would love to get this problem resolved before I sell the house.

any advice would be appreciated.

43E68EBA-6362-4A95-AC1F-B5CC2905987C.jpeg

630DB2B2-7120-4EC0-AC7F-A1F68F4F1DF3.jpeg

Was the roof replaced over the removed stack or stack reduced?

as the wet patch is so localised it must be a specific point of water entry.

water dripping onto felt isn’t a problem, it’s there to catch and direct any water blown under the slates or tiles and take it to the gutter.

I don’t understand air vents inside and out for a capped chimney, do you have a pic inside the loft showing the stack? And or outside?

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for replying to me. The stack was taken down immediately we moved into the house as there was lots of water leaking down the wall. Although the leak appeared to have been solved the area remained damp. We were told to have the ceiling and wall replastered as the plaster would be holding the moisture in. We also had a new roof installed around the same time and thought that would solve the issue but it hasn’t. I am attaching a photo of the outside of the stack. The render has also been redone.

42946533-334C-48DF-92C1-BB8945AF60AA.jpeg

46CB420D-A18D-499D-897E-C0F484199E98.jpeg