Poorly supported chimney stack struggling to get quotes

d87francis

We're in the process of buying a house in the Bristol area and the survey has just come back with a poorly supported chimney stack on the party wall from previous chimney breat removal. With a bucket to boot from leaks around the stack.

image.jpeg.390dd8e431eaf71986b0ad4e4f20fc64.jpegimage.jpeg.d91e5559e5303067d3b5c72713c08118.jpeg

I'm trying to get some quotes together to negotiate this cost off our purchase price but am struggling to get any interest in quoting.

I've emailed a range of local roofing firms that also do chimney removals and repairs, but as of yet have not heard back from anyone.

The other option is I get a structural engineer to inspect and produce a report, but that could cost betwen £300-800.

I understand that as it's a party wall gallows brackets cannot be used and it likely needs a steel. Plus it may require a party wall notice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes 

The problem you have is that you are in the process of buying 

Most will assume that there quote will be used as part of a negotiation and never here from you again 

Offer to pay for a builder to come out and do a full written quote 

usually about £100-150 

Also the sellers are more likely to negotiate with a written quote 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, d87francis said:

Thanks nod.

I'm now messaging a few builders through trustatrader and offering to pay for the quote. Plus mentioning we'd like to do an extension next year. Hopefully this gets me a result.

No problem 

just make sure they are a vat registered company 

and provide a detailed quote Detailing what they are going to do and materials to be used 

I do lots of these each year Mainly for insurance companies It will help you with your negotiations if you have a quote on letter headed paper with the company number etc 

I wouldn’t bring in a Structual engineer at this stage It’s pretty obvious what was started previously needs finishing 

and the rest of the chimney removing 

and the leaks around it sorted at the same time 

Good luck with your purchase