MVHR fan blade cleaning tips please?

Just wondering since I last asked (

if anyone has found a neat way to clean the MVHR fan blades.  Mine get a thin film of dust on them, which the manual says should be removed and I hope it will quieten it a little too.  

Paintbrush/toothbrush and hoover is my current method.

Someone in the forum suggested a can of compressed air - anyone doing that/does it work?

Many thanks

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi,

can I ask how often do you get round to changing you’re pre-filters as tbh air flow should not allow dust to settle on the land blades especially due to the vortices on the tips, they are pretty huge and dust wouldn’t have time to settle.

what’s your pre-filter rating? 

who commissioned the unit, I wonder what your intake air flow is at the external vent and maybe there is a leak somewhere?

how are your airflows at the supply vents in your home? 

sorry….loads of questions and haven’t actually answered your question.

I commission the unit and balanced it across the house but as the house is not that air tight the outside wind speed seems to impact the performance.

I generally remove and wash the filters every 6-9 months, replace every 2 years. The heat transfer unit I wash maybe every 18 months (though never really get anything out of it).

Because I find the running noise quiet annoying, at night I've set the unit to run very minimally (and we open the bedroom windows) so the vortices might be small at night.

In my opinion there is a fair amount of cross flow leakage within the unit itself, almost as if the summer bypass unit works by relying on this cross flow leakage path.

The manual says the fans should be cleaned as if it is expected they will get dirty.

>what’s your pre-filter rating? 

Sorry I don't know.