Solid Fuel Flue Height

Bemak

Hi all. I'm looking to install a solid fuel range as part of a refurb project I'm hoping to commence shortly. Just a quick query on flue height requirements. The range is located in the kitchen which is in an existing single-storey extension with a lean-to roof. The flue will penetrate the roof at it's highest point and will need to pass up beyond the eaves of the existing house. However, if I am to stick with the building regs as I understand them, the flue will need to be over 3m in height from the point from which it penetrates the roof so that it achieves a distance of 2.3m from the main roof. See attached section for clarity. While this would appear to satisfy building regulations, it looks excessive to me and I would also question how stable a flue that length would be in wind (which we get a lot of). 

My preference would be to terminate the flue a lot lower, maybe around 1.5m in height from the point of exit from the lean-to roof. I've shown this in the attached section also. 

I assume the reason for the 2.3m distance is because of the potential for stray sparks from the flue etc - is there anything that can be added onto the flue to prevent this risk and thus allow me to install the flue at a lower height?

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-27 at 08.59.50.jpeg

Flue Section.pdf

• 3 months later...

How did you get on with this?

Reasoning behind building regs is largely irrelevant. Just satisfy them and get it signed off.

I wouldn't try and reduce the height. Looking at the trees and the lie of the land I bet there's some turbulent air and downdrafts around. It's not nice smelling the coke that a lot of these fuels contain if fumes reach ground level. If it were my installation I'd be using twin wall to retain the heat and good draw, not sure if that's in your plan?