contract/project admin to start in the middle of tendering?

Keymon

Hello,

We are doing this full renovation project of a terrace house, everything renovated plus some structural wall.

Unfortunately we had been a bit unlucky (maybe also foolish). Our first architects were too unresponsive and we had to change. We hired then a "project manager" friend of a friend. He was located abroad but said he could manage everything from design to completion, and told us to use a new architect (friends of him) to start from scratch. Unfortunately we were not happy with his project management: we had to do track all the work, chase and coordinate everyone, the design was delayed, etc. And it was not clear how he would do all the project/contract admin. So we decided to only use their services up to prepare tendering docs.

now we are in this situation:  architect drawings done (mostly), structural calculations and design, tendering docs, building control, etc... but looking for builders ourselves and without contract/project admin.

I still feel we need advice and somebody to help us to find and negotiate with the builder, advice during the project, do inspections, etc. But we do not want to find other architecture firm and start over, as we invested a lot of time and money in fees, and we are happy with the design and scope. We are considering to hire specifically a "contract administrator". Most seem to be surveyors.

Builders seem to provide a project manager on site for the build process itself, so I guess we only need somebody managing the contracts, advising regarding costs, inspecting.

Does it make sense? do you advice something else? how can I find a contract admin?

Also, we are struggling to find contractors, we are just contacting local ones using houzz or similar, but with little availability.

On top of this: We found later that we had remove the chimney that was not structurally safe, and also the roof, and rebuild the loft (was converted by a cowboy). We found a roofing company able to start immediately that offered to do all end-to-end, including building control, lawfulness certificate, etc. So we decided to hire them, but they did not offer an official contract like JCT or so. I regret it a bit now, as I learn about the need of full contract, but now we can only wait.

Edited by Keymon

Trying to do any renovation job in London is going to be very costly and fraught with problems trying to find the trades you need.

Trades will tender high due to the logistics and travel time, parking fee's, and access of getting materials on site etc. This doesn't bode very well for your project I'm afraid. 

Edited by twice round the block

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2022 at 10:08, twice round the block said:

Trying to do any renovation job in London is going to be very costly and fraught with problems trying to find the trades you need.

Trades will tender high due to the logistics and travel time, parking fee's, and access of getting materials on site etc. This doesn't bode very well for your project I'm afraid. 

Yes, that is very true. Now I am in the situation, I need to get this shorted out :(

1 hour ago, Keymon said:

Yes, that is very true. Now I am in the situation, I need to get this shorted out :(

The other major problem you will face is some will include some parts in their tender and not others and visa versa.

When they start work ( eventually) they say ," Oh I didn't include that in the quote"

The whole process is a minefield and everything needs to be in writing so both parties are working from the same page.

Best of luck trying to get trades in the most densely populated area of the country.

Good tradesmen don't need to advertise for work and never will !!! you only find them by word of mouth.