Lime Torching

Lee Brush

Does anyone have any experience with lime torching ?

In my barn I have an exposed tile roof (see picture), I don't want to put on a new roof. This will be a work space not a living area so it does not need to be cosy just comfortable. I have read a bit about lime /plaster/horsehair mixture that is applied to the underneath of the tiles. It acts as a buffer agains wind blown rain, a mortar to secure tiles and also as a form of insulation. 

Any links or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Barn_2.jpg

Yes I’ve done lots of it as part of my business Mainly on barns and farm buildings It’s known as barging locally to me Don’t buy the tubed stuff It will cost you a fortune 

Mix 3 sharp sand to 1 hydrated lime 

Don’t over mix We normally max the sand and water for five minutes then add the lime 

Goggles hat and a disposable suit 

This stuff burns 

Its applied the opposite way to plastering Fill your trowel and push away and Down 

Very cheap to do yourself 

Some pictures of you before and after will be good to see 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nod said:

Yes I’ve done lots of it as part of my business Mainly on barns and farm buildings It’s known as barging locally to me Don’t buy the tubed stuff It will cost you a fortune 

Mix 3 sharp sand to 1 hydrated lime 

Don’t over mix We normally max the sand and water for five minutes then add the lime 

Goggles hat and a disposable suit 

This stuff burns 

Its applied the opposite way to plastering Fill your trowel and push away and Down 

Very cheap to do yourself 

Some pictures of you before and after will be good to see 😁

Thanks for the reply Nod, I appreciate the info, I am in Italy I found a local company that uses hemp instead of horse hair they sell it by the sack its not too pricey. Also appreciate the safety advice :)

7 minutes ago, Lee Brush said:

Thanks for the reply Nod, I appreciate the info, I am in Italy I found a local company that uses hemp instead of horse hair they sell it by the sack its not too pricey. Also appreciate the safety advice :)

If plastering is the dirtiest trade 

Barging is the dirtiest job

Dont forget the pics 😁

Edited by nod