Widening chimney fireplace opening

Hi Everyone,

I’d be really grateful for any help please!  

I live in a first (top) floor Victorian brick-built flat and have an existing opening in the chimney of approx. 55cm wide (in a chimney breast 160 cm wide).  I have a fireplace I would like to fit, but it’s approx. 80cm wide for the widest part of the length.  Do you think I will be able to widen the chimney opening (even if I have to replace the lintel)?  I’m conscious the chimney must feed downstairs too.

Would I need a structural engineer to assess it too?

Any help would be hugely useful!

Many thanks in advance.

James

It will depend on where the other flues are located. 

Have you got any photos to upload?

Building control should be done and they may want a SE to look at it, although it is unlikely.

The chimney breast will contain another chimney from downstairs. Upstairs fireplaces in Victorian house were often very small, for a tiny coal grate.

I would expect that all you can cut out is any bricks that narrow the opening but you can get your hand behind.

Even then , this is dabbling with a standard construction so the condition of the building is important.

At least you have the chimney. Many houses have them cut out to increase the room space, and very often without proper support in the loft.

You  will have responsibilities and conditions attached to your ownership/lease which must also be followed.

SE required, and the answer may be no, you cannot do it.

Alternatively apply for building regs and they may say yes or no from their experience, or require an SE.

A picture would help.