1st Floor UFH and deck notching

BartW

Hi All,

I am after some advice on 1st floor UFH for our new build.

For the last few months of planning the whole thing, I was convinced we were going to use Xfloo250 boards + screedboards as a solution. Now that things are becoming real, and I am putting the final costing together, I am trying to economise on budget. Xfloo as a supply only works out £2500 + VAT, and that excludes any UFH kit.

I considered going for cheaper alternatives in overlay option, but they work out not a lot less.

Another way was to use biscuit screed mix, but I worry that I would need to redesign the whole floor with loads etc at this stage. My currently designed-in loading is 25kg/m2 for the Xfloo system.

Our T&G Chipboard deck is 22mm thick. Would this be ok if I route grooves in it to, say, 12mm depth? That would help me suspend UFH pipes, and whilst my time has value, I could make it a weekend DIY task, bar a few router bits ;)

On another note, and I understand if I should open another thread in the MVHR section, would adding a post heater to an MVHR unit be able to compensate for space heating if I were to completely ditch UFH on the first floor?

Our ground floor is 92m2 vastly open plan, with an atrium in one part of it, then just bedrooms upstairs (and bathrooms). First floor is 72m2.

Any view would be most welcome.

Regards

Bart