Vent Axia Sentinel Fan replacement under warranty

Just posting this for future reference. For anyone reading then this thread on bearing replacement may also be useful:

VENT AXIA SENTINEL B FAN BEARING REPLACEMENT - Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR) - BuildHub.org.uk

We installed a Vent Axia Sentinel FH MVHR unit in 2019, commissioned last year. About 2 weeks ago the noise had significantly increased to the point where it was becoming pretty annoying at night trying to sleep. On removing the fan it became clear the bearing was damaged in some way as the fan was pretty rough sounding when rotated by hand. Not great for a unit which hasn't had a lot of use (it was off over most of last winter as we were away and we switched it off for 3-4 months over summer).

Vent Axia fans have a 5 year warranty on them. As we bought via BPC the whole thing was pretty straightforward. I contacted BPC, gave them some information which they passed on to Vent Axia and a new fan turned up within about a week. The dodgy fan was the extract fan and it's worth being aware that the extract and supply fans are not the same (at least for my unit), so specifying which fan has gone bust is therefore important. 

The process is relatively straightforward although I found it a bit fiddly in places:

1. Remove the side, top and end covers. To remove the end covers requires disconnecting the ductwork, which, depending on the unit configuration and how fixed your ducting is may be a bit of work.

2. I removed the heat exchanger though this may not be necessary.

3. Unscrew the plastic cover, then unscrew the bolts holding the fan to the unit.

4. Disconnect the wiring using the clips in the PCB.

Fitting is essentially the reverse.

Some pics:

2068703668_20211202_1637281.thumb.jpg.f4de1860ee118fe7ab0a871314c64565.jpg

Picture above shows the hole where the fan sits with the 4 threads for the fan bolts visible.

487587320_20211202_1637161.thumb.jpg.081984afac47fcb8d5d7e6413b75886d.jpg

Picture above shows the inside of the unit with the heat exchanger removed. The fan sits behind the grill which I think is the summer bypass mechanism.

145551555_20211202_1710511.thumb.jpg.961bda3133c600dc375583eb65327399.jpg

Picture above shows the lower front of the unit. Remove the control panel to access the PCB and fan power clips.

• 2 years later...

Hi, sorry to revive a very old thread bit I'm trying to identify the 'extract' fan. I'm not sure which side it is on. I have a Kinetic Plus B (right side) 443028. 

The PCB blew and I have had it repaired bit the machine still isn't working. The error code is 02 - extract fan not running. 

My machine is a 2015 and apparently the fans are different on each side, al though they look similar to me. If I have to replace the PCB with a new one then I apparently have to change the fans too according to vent axia. So I'd like to see if I can check the fan first to see if it is at fault and if it can be repaired. 

Thanks, Jon.