which membrane is recommended?

DH202020

Building cladded timber frame garage, insulating like a house, need help with type of membranes required?

External timberframe breathable membranes...have come across Novia black which can do walls and roof... good or bad?

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/novia-black-roof-wall-breathable-felt-membrane-50m-x-1-5m-roll.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXGBCfhnvvMebuYNpG2bkpZy3l5wRmJBeWwKWTmjC1WYaAi0G8P8HAQ

Also would like to fit internal  airtight vapor control membrane... any recommendations?

Thanks

David.

There's a great deal of choice on this. Fortunately all the vital statistics are available on the BBA certificates (don't consider any membrane which doesn't give you the cert number).

I didn't have a spec to meet but made a choice based on availability, price, and getting what seemed like a good product for the money. I have an exposed site and a slow build so the stuff needed to be able to last as the only weathertight layer for several months. I used Glidevale Protect TF200 on the walls, and for the roof I went with Cromar Vent 3 Pro, which has not let a drop in since I installed it last summer. The wall membrane was not quite so impressive and there was a rip with consequent leakage at the SW corner of the building, but patching it with another layer solved that problem.

• Like 1

Thanks crofter

One of my issues is that I need 50m x 1.5 roll

Some of the frame wrap are 100m (to much waste!) Hence could use the rest on the roof...if product specs allowed?

Exposure to elements will be short!...but like you say BBA standard is a must.

Will continue to check out your recommendations.

Also....how does this type of vapour barrier stack up?...

Vapour Barrier and Thermal Insulation Aluminium Foil Membrane - For use in Walls, Floors and Roofs - 1.5m x 50m (75 SQ/M) - CE Approved + Fire Retardant

Cheers.

Edited by DH202020
link did not work