Reclaim those bricks... well the nice ones.

I have quite a few old bricks, found them under the old garage slab, looks like they scraped all the top soil off to the clay then dumped a lorry load of bricks to make up the ground then covered it in whin dust which sort of filled the top layer gaps. Interestingly if any of us suggested this method today we would all baulk at the idea, yet this garage did pretty well for 60 odd years on a 2-3 inch slab with edges built up on cobbles 3/4 layers deep.

The bricks are quite nice, big 9" red bricks in pretty good condition, so I have been scratching my head after I had to lift a couple of 100 to run a soil pipe through the old garage site wondering what to do with them, so I looked about, I have always liked the reclaimed brick walls and paths and things so decided to give the new garage a new side entrance as test bed for bigger things.

20200902_094233.thumb.jpg.5ef329aed5e7e33a513af3e80f7a9c3c.jpg

(The dark area to the left of the 4th from the right bottom brick isn't a gap, it is heavily fired clay.)

I am quite pleased with the results, I used a wet grout technique, this will not be a step so the rough sides will be unseen - the ground level around is coming back up.

So the plan is now a much larger area that leads to this entrance to create a theme. 

Edited by Carrerahill