SE recommendations in the South East for piling design

ChrisInKent

I’ve read the BH piling blogs and previous chats (which were really helpful). I’m after any SE recommendations and thoughts on timeline.

We were working to a timeline of the timber frame going up late September but then we got the soil report back showing ‘high plasticity’ Wealden clay. As we have large Oaks within 8m of the build we will now need piling, a concrete ring beam, a 300mm void and a block and beam floor. We’ve struggled to find an SE who can give us a report before the end of August.

Does anyone have any recommendations for SEs in the South East of England who are piling experts? 

Should we try and get ballpark piling quotes based on a wall plate design and loadings  or do we need to wait for the final design? As we need a light rig (difficult access) should we be only looking a helical piles or other sorts? 

Is it completely unrealistic to think we will be getting foundations in Aug/September? 

Why did we embark on this crazy journey? (Don’t answer that one!)

We’re in the exact same situation as you. Tree roots and clay. We could potentially have a raft, but we’d need to dig down a fair bit to the ‘good’ gravelly clay, but it’s a hassle with muck away and MOT type 3.

I’ve probably got quotes from 8 pile providers and the range of costs has been staggering. From £28k for the piles and ring beam, all the way up to £65k. 

I’m leaning towards piles, ring beam and insulated beam and block. But I’ve got a guy who does piles and a tied in raft popping over tomorrow for a chat. We’ll see what he says. Bit more expensive but I like the simplicity and shallow dig.

All the ones I’ve progressed with have SEs in house, so they include the cost. They’ll give you a rough idea on what’s needed based on a soil report and indicative plans. You’ll need loadings for a final design and price though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisInKent said:

Thanks @AppleDown Our footprint is 108sqm. How does that compare to yours? We’ve got the loadings so I guess I’ll start calling round.

It’s about 160sqm - I’ll drop you a PM with the ones that have been best for us so far.

• Thanks 1