I dream of converting our loft.

BML

My first job was as a Bricklayer Apprentice which as I worked for a rubbish company who built concrete council houses while the lads I met at Technical College worked for small builders and were trained to be craftsmen.  I detested that so when my time was up I joined the Army and never went back on the tools. When I left the Army I got married and my wife and I bought a two bedroom bungalow. As she kept presenting me with more children we decided to have the roof removed and a new roof built finishing up with six bedrooms and three bathrooms. Nothing swanky but great for our growing children. Thirty years later we down sized to another two bedroom bungalow with a floor area of roughly 30ft X 40ft and although I’m in my mid-80s now I would just love to have the roof ripped off and set out four or more rooms in the loft space. The bungalow is of between the wars age with the same poor foundations as our first bungalow but we can get over that by creating a series of piers or steels.

I have a major problem in that I can find no one who is prepared to give me even a rough idea of the cost of a job which means removing the roof and creating a new one with accommodation unless I give them a set of plans. If I was looking for a precise quote I could understand that but all I want is a rough idea of cost and a builder with experience of such a contact must surely know the answer to my question. So is anyone here prepared to stick their neck out and offer a suggested cost for such a job?