BS8485 verification

Dicky

We have finally been granted planning permission after close to two years of trying, but we have conditions to discharge before we can commence.

The main two are:-

1. Intrusive site investigation, being on a coal seem. This part is done and awaiting results.

But number 2 has bamboozled my architect, my structural engineer and also building control. Which is this verification and method statement for gas protection measures for BS8485. 

We have had a quote in which was £1200 for a simple piece of paper telling me how it's to be installed by the groundworkers and another piece of paper stating that it meets the BS8485 requirement.

Has anyone else come across this in their conditions or requirements?

Thanks

Rich

We had to install ground gas measures in a new build in 2011. In our case the identified gas was methane coming from a deep lying bed of peat about half a mile away. We simply used the same methods as one would for radon. Basically a membrane over a sump with a pipe leading from under the slab and venting to the atmosphere. 
Unable to recall the standards quoted but Building Control and certifying engineer were both happy enough.

• Thanks 1