What limits the recommended depth of FlowScreed?

I am coming under some pressure to screed my downstairs floor with flowscreed, as there would be an economy of scale thing (one pump for two houses).

Reading up on Flowscreed I note a recommended max depth of 60mm. Why is this? Something to do with a mild exothermic cure perhaps?

Background: This will be for a block and beam ground floor with UFH over 150mm of insulation.

In a rush but...

Some liquid screeds can be hard to tile. The screed forms a weak powdery layer that has to be mechanically removed. Latiance I think it's called.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

Some liquid screeds can be hard to tile. The screed forms a weak powdery layer that has to be mechanically removed. Latiance I think it's called.

Eeek. Ceramic flooring will be the main floor cover downstairs.

My flowscreed (if that’s the same tech name) was supposed to have no or little laitance. I scraped the floor to remove any “scum” and ripples, soaked the floor in sealer, tiled it and the tiles have come loose, not sure why, can’t bring myself to lift the tiles (fitted kitchen and skirting on top of tiles) but it’s on my “to do list in the future “.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I would price up a normal screed. It does not take long to do (for the screeder), it is normally cheaper and you can tile straight onto it.  75mm thick fibre reinforced seems to be a favourite.

My screeder also recommends sand / cement screed over other choices .

Cheaper , and no issues when you tile to it . Also he was confident it would be more level .....

In my experience .. ie both bathroom floors have cracked .. trad sand and cement screed  is vulnerable to the expansion and contraction due to ufh heating cycles. I know that one crack is in the screen because I have had the bathroom redone this week.

I believe that the ufh pipes are in the screed itself but have not dug that up to investigate, as it is not a disastrous crack.

Presumably fibres will mitigate (?)

Ferdinand

IMG_0806-small.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, pocster said:

My screeder also recommends sand / cement screed over other choices .

Cheaper , and no issues when you tile to it . Also he was confident it would be more level .....

Sorry sand , cement WITH fibre 

Traditional screed with fibres is normally fine with ufh and tiles or stone. However some care is required where two areas of screed meet at a doorway. You should form an expansion gap at this point and not tile over it. 

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

In my experience .. ie both bathroom floors have cracked .. trad sand and cement screed  is vulnerable to the expansion and contraction due to ufh heating cycles. I know that one crack is in the screen because I have had the bathroom redone this week.

I believe that the ufh pipes are in the screed itself but have not dug that up to investigate, as it is not a disastrous crack.

Presumably fibres will mitigate (?)

Ferdinand

IMG_0806-small.jpg

Not sure what caused that. Looks like quite a wide crack. What's the floor make up? 

On 06/06/2019 at 14:21, Temp said:

Not sure what caused that. Looks like quite a wide crack. What's the floor make up? 

It has some combination of ufh and sand/cement screed, on top of some combination of concrete / insulation.

We took the view that the crack is stable and related to the strains imposed by ugh, so did not dig down to find out.

It now looks like this

41F6386D-F633-48D9-A292-7C64510732F3.thumb.jpeg.8c4b75a447e1a46b50843c8ed8b0865c.jpeg

• Like 2