Planning answer due in 1 week.

Big Jimbo

Just to keep you all posted. Received an email from the planning officer last Thursday, saying that he had consulted with his boss, and that they wanted further info, and a list of very special circumstances. I have gone back with 17 more drawings, (which i spent all weekend doing) and 3 pages of writing, tables etc. I believe that i have shown that my proposal for 2 houses, when considered against my Extant planning permission, or my Permitted Devl rights, is less harmful to the greenbelt, and therefore complies with para 145, section G of the NPPF, and that i don't need Special circumstances. We shall have to wait annd see. (Finger crossed) No request for an extension from them. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like they are looking like an excuse to say yes.

Eventually you will get a hand emerging out of the top of the pile of paperwork, holding a sign saying ‘we submit’.

Bit like Excalibur and the lake.

?

And then they will go down for the third time...

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

i would also concur that asking for more specific information is a positive sign, hopefully that is correct and i would bet you will have permission in the next two weeks. I have to admit looking at your proposals initially i thought that you wouldn't get permission, here to hoping i am wrong. 

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 00:22, Temp said:

You must appeal within 6 months of the date on which the determination was due. I believe that means the  Date the planning application was validated + 8 weeks + 6 months. 

I would not leave it to the last moment in case there is some issue with getting the appeal paperwork validated. 

Edit: if your house is over 1000sqm they have 13 weeks instead of 8.

Do people actually have houses that big or whole schemes do you mean 

1 minute ago, Oz07 said:

Do people actually have houses that big or whole schemes do you mean 

When I was scoping out Gaulhofer windows, their UK rep took us to see a private build in Milngavie, north of Glasgow, which would have been thereabouts.

Our 10mx11m footprint would have easily fitted in their kitchen plus they had a basement, and two floors above. Front door was almost 3m high and the sliders were over 8m each.

I think there were only 3 of them living there too...

Yes they do. i've worked on houses with 4 kitchens, 8 bedrooms, countless reception rooms, snooker rooms, gyms, cinema, indoor poor, changing area etc.......With 2 very rich people living in them. It must take them hours to find each other.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Eventually you will get a hand emerging out of the top of the pile of paperwork, holding a sign saying ‘we submit’.

Bit like Excalibur and the lake.

?

And then they will go down for the third time...

2 hours ago, Moonshine said:

i would also concur that asking for more specific information is a positive sign, hopefully that is correct and i would bet you will have permission in the next two weeks. I have to admit looking at your proposals initially i thought that you wouldn't get permission, here to hoping i am wrong. 

Lets hope so.... Either that or they are offering me enough rope to hang myself with. I do wonder if they were to view my proposal only against what is currently on the site, would they be able to use my permitted devl, or my extant planning permission, or both, as special circumstances, to show that my scheme is better than both of those, and therefore less harmful to the greenbelt ?????  The only other thing, and i don't know if it might work in my favour or not, is that the council don't have an up to date local plan, nor can they demonstate that they have a 5 year supply of housing land. All of the land currently under consideration by the council is Virgin Greenbelt. Mine however is a piece of residential land, with a property, that is in the greenbelt. I'd like to think that it can therefore be considered "previously developed land" of even Brownfield at a push.

If all else fails, i will be able to build the one big house that i have permission for, sell it and bugger off. My only cost in applying for the 2 has been the £840. I've done all of the drawings, studies, writing, etc myself. So it's not like i have spent out 20 0r 30 grand. Just my time, and it beats watching the telly. Oh, and a lot of lead for my propelling pencil !

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

I defo feel that so far it has been a game of Poker...... The problem for me is that i can't play Poker?

i thought that the game i was playing to begin with was poker, but it seems that based on current correspondence with the planning officer its akin to snap, hopefully it stays that way!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Moonshine. When are you due an answer on yours ?

Circa 5 weeks if the 8 weeks is realised, but it's not validated yet. Spoke to the officer today to give them a nudge.

They looked at the drawings while we were on the phone and said they generally reflected what the pre-app showed, so they were comfortable with the proposals, and were positive about the design. There are a couple of comments to get to the architect but probably nothing too exciting.

Hopefully formally validated Tues/weds.

The planning officer has come back to me and asked me to reduce the overall volume of my 2 proposed houses.....I understand that if you put something bigger on a site, you would think that would be more obtrusive. However, if the other studies show that you have a reduction in the site width use, a reduction in the footprint, a reduction in the bulk and mass. a reduction in the site coverage, and the sightline study shows that you have better views through the site from the front to back, and rear to front. Why would the volume be an issue ???? Help , please. I'm getting there with my proposal for 2 houses in place of my 1 large house that i have permission for....Thanks

7 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Ask them for a policy definition of what volume is allowable in the local plan, usually footprint, height, frontage are the only things defined, outside of that you're just dealing with a single planners personal preferences which are a pain in the bum because you usually have to go all the way to appeal to get around that if they dig their heel in...

Thanks the R -Sole. I will try and get hold of him to get him to define what he means exactly.

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

I would put it in writing tbh and ask for a written response, its easy for them to say something without properly backing it up, but in writing they are usually much more careful

Yeap, will do. Thanks

I've gone back to the planner and asked him to clarify why volume is an issue, and indicate a relevant policy. I am waiting for his response...... I have clearly shown on the site study that the volume, although an increase over the extant planning permission, that i have started, is less harmful to the Greenbelt. If i was to get arsey, and tell him that i won't reduce the volume, because i don't need to, i suspect that he would try and find a bunch of reasons to refuse it. He would prob quote para 145 of the NPPF, although i have shown that under para 145 section G, my new proposal is less harmful to the greenbelt than my extant permission, which is my alternative scheme that i have already started.

My question is....If i were to go to appeal, would i be able to offer an alternative scheme, ie; reduced volume.... and would the planning inspector consider the alternative scheme together with the original planning application ? I could reduce the volume, however, if i offer this to the council, they will say, "yeah, that's better," and agree it. They will then give no further consideration to the application in front of them. Hope i'm making myself clear. Any ideas ???? Thanks

I went to appeal as our planners wanted a smaller build, I reduced the volume a little by having hips not gables (I wanted this anyway as I read that hips give less noise in windy conditions!!). I won the appeal and the officer said our site was perfectly fit for the size I wanted.