Wetroom: labour cost. Wanna laugh? Read on....

I don’t know if I am out of touch nowadays but I got a quote to tile my conservatory, 10m x 2.3 = 23sq m.  = £920 labour . Sod that, knocked it off in a couple of days. (But my knees and back hurts, better that than hurting my wallet ?)

59 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I don’t know if I am out of touch nowadays but I got a quote to tile my conservatory, 10m x 2.3 = 23sq m.  = £920 labour . Sod that, knocked it off in a couple of days. (But my knees and back hurts, better that than hurting my wallet ?)

Pretty normal for a firm 

an individual 

I once priced a job for a large sum of money can’t remember now but in excess of 100k and accidentally added an extra zero....... it was a government contract and luckily the guy in charge new me and of my dyslexia...... gave me a call from the room where the tenders were being opened by the group of evaluators and asked me to clarify..... I said I did not think they would notice ! We all had a laugh, they deleted a zero and I got the contract. It happens so maybe it’s just an extra zero......

We've got 3 wetrooms in our house. Jan did the tanking using a standard kit. I did all of the chippying and we did the plumbing. The only bought-in labour was for the tiler and IIRC he charged less to do the entire ground floor, the 3 ensuites, bathroom and ground floor toilet. I'll ask Jan in the morning.

Our tiler did the wetroom prep which included the backer boards, membrane, electric UFH and latex on the top for a few hundred per room (we had 3) - I supplied the kit & painted the walls with the liquid membrane after he'd put the edging strip on.

Plumber had done the Impey tray first fix.

Was DIYable but he just wanted to get it done and not hang about - also knew what he was doing which was a plus :)

I knew a builder like that in Bristol, he used to price work that he didn’t want at a silly price and said if they are stupid enough to pay that price I will sub it out and make a bigger profit!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I knew a builder like that in Bristol, he used to price work that he didn’t want at a silly price and said if they are stupid enough to pay that price I will sub it out and make a bigger profit!

You can never be sure though, can you?

When I went out for quotes to a few local SEs for the design of our retaining wall the highest quote was several thousand pounds, plus visit expenses as required, the lowest quote was three hundred pounds plus VAT.  I assumed the high quote just didn't want the job, but they rang me a few weeks later to ask if they'd got the job.  When I explained that they hadn't, the lady on the phone bent my ear about how employing a cheap SE would result in a poor design that was likely to fail.  As it happens the SE we used designed the wall such that I reckon it would have been OK for the U boat pens at Brest.

13 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

You can never be sure though, can you?

I can in this instant because he admitted it to me, in fact he subbed some work to me on occasions ? 

16 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

When I went out for quotes to a few local SEs for the design of our retaining wall the highest quote was several thousand pounds, plus visit expenses as required, the lowest quote was three hundred pounds plus VAT.  I assumed the high quote just didn't want the job, but they rang me a few weeks later to ask if they'd got the job.  When I explained that they hadn't, the lady on the phone bent my ear about how employing a cheap SE would result in a poor design that was likely to fail.  As it happens the SE we used designed the wall such that I reckon it would have been OK for the U boat pens at Brest.

So you didn’t use the expensive S.E.? When I employed an S.E. Years ago I got one with a good reputation among other local builders but affordable (with insurance!).

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

So you didn’t use the expensive S.E.? When I employed an S.E. Years ago I got one with a good reputation among other local builders but affordable (with insurance!).

No, we didn't, but as it turned out the much cheaper SE we used was well-respected by our ground works chap, who reckoned that he was one of the best in the area (I didn't know that when we gave him the job, mind, so there was a fair element of luck involved).

• Like 1

On 05/06/2019 at 23:23, TerryE said:

I'll ask Jan in the morning.

To which Jan replied "F*** knows; I can't remember."  Unfortunately we are in Alonnisos and the paperwork and invoices are in a folder in the UK.  As others have said, the problem is that the whole job involves a lot of itty-bitty trades and site visits.  Better to split the work by trades IMO, and do the ones you are doing yourself, and the others to your preferred tradesman.  The tanking bit is pretty straight forward but time consuming and something either of you should be able to tackle. 

Edited by TerryE
  • Haha 1