German windows with roller shutters built-in — who makes them?

Dreadnaught

I am interested in those German windows you see when you visit a German home that have those built-in external window shutters mounted into the window itself and opened with a strap on the inside. Like in this video… 

Anyone knows who makes them, any brand names? I am expecting that there is a huge billion-€ German company that dominates the market that most people have never heard of.

Ja, vorsicht aber!  Die Gurtwickler sind sehr wichtig. Elektrischer Gurtwickler sind - so zu sagen - empfindlich.

Yes, but be careful. The mechanism that raises and lowers the blind is very important: the electric versions  are (were when I had some)  a bit 'delicate'.

• Thanks 1

The manual ones also have some weaknesses: the stops can become brittle with the result that a little too much enthusiasm in raising the blind can see them disappearing into the box, and the tape wears eventually. Both are easily fixed (assuming access to parts of course) but require opening up the box to gain access to the mechanism - been there, done that... Having said that, our previous property here had them (our current property has external venetian blinds instead) and I think they're excellent.

5 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

I thought INternorm were the only people to do this. Obviously I'm wrong, but i'm surprised they don't trumpet it.

I was interested in built in blinds . But most companies I’ve spoke to that don’t do them say it’s because they cause too many problems...

• Thanks 1

Blinds and shutters...two different things.  I was looking at shutters for security, couldn’t at the time find any to fit my requirements.  The solar gain aspect was another matter and I looked at the integrated blinds and discounted them because we were having laminated glass for security and they are not best suited to that.......I seriously underestimated the over heating from lots of glass in an airtight house.

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

I was interested in built in blinds

I like the neatness of them. nothing to get knocked against inside or blown about by wind. So ID systems do integrated blinds then. I shall take a look.

We are getting external Venetian blinds, I am worried about the wind....

Any moving glass with internal blinds sounds like a recipe for disaster & I imagine repairs would be difficult & expensive. How do you 'loose' the stacked blind when it's up?

We stayed in a hotel in Spain recently that had the tape operated shutters, they were great for a hot climate, but I can't imagine how that mechanism could be compatable with airtight houses, it would need to be electrically operated. 

The internorm windows had an opening pane to get at the internal blinds as far as I can remember....having just looked at the web site to refresh my memory I see Internorm are now doing roller shutters too! 

The electric ones work of a 3 gang switch per window or by remote control/app. The manual ones are a cord pulley system. The electric version can also be fitted to home automation systems.

If having external venetian blinds, it’s important to have them designed in at the early stages and allow the additional space allocation.

A window will increase in height by a minimum of 150mm due to extra frame extensions required for the concealed housing.

i.e a daylight open of 1000mm height, will require a s/o of 1170mm including tolerances, you then render / brick / clad over the front edge of the box. The overall head depth is window frame + box, which is about 200mm to the external finish.

Venetians/blinds fitted to the face of the window cannot be hidden and are not as eye pleasing imho.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nick1c said:

We are getting external Venetian blinds, I am worried about the wind....

The prevailing wind in our area is straight onto the front of the house. When it's really windy (and particularly when it's gusty), you get some noises from the slats moving around, but on the odd occasion it's gotten really bad I've just put the blinds up until the wind dies off. Never any damage that I've noticed, although it's certainly possible. We also live Hampshire/Surrey borders, so not the windiest place in the country.

In Loxone, you can connect a wind sensor and have the blinds automatically retract at whatever windspeed makes you concerned.