Still on with the vat reclaim

we have purchased some items after sign off 

Are these still claimable 

Also the paragraph listing consumables 

Sand paper white spirit 

Do nails for the roof for slates sealants etc fall into the Category of consumable 

Yes you can still claim for eligible things purchased after sign off up to the point you submit the claim (must be sent within 3 months). 

Nails, sealants etc are incorporated so claimable. 

Sandpaper and white spirit are not so not claimable. 

• Thanks 1

That’s good news 

we purchased the paving 8 k and have it stacked everywhere 

I thought for a moment I’d made a blunder Purchased a week after sign off  

• 1 month later...

I just spoke the HMRC yesterday. I was told that your forms can go in 3 months after your entire development (as detailed in  PP) is competed, not simply when you occupy the house.  As in our case my garage, garden etc etc won’t be built within 3 months of occupancy of the house as I’m doing that work myself in slow time.  He said just submit a covering letter explaining why submitting the forms so long after occupancy.   Helpful as I thought I’d have to buy all the materials within 3 months of occupancy and have them sitting in the site for ages.

10 hours ago, Bozza said:

I just spoke the HMRC yesterday.  

I would follow that up with confirmation in writing because that’s quite a big turnaround from their previous stance on this albeit that seemed to be a new stance. There have been cases that have gone to tribunal where the appellant claimed that they got specific info from HMRC’s helpline where HMRC didn’t agree when it came to the claim and said that they didn’t have a record of the phone call. 

I actually phoned several months ago and asked if the occupancy date was used to determine when the claim had to be sent or could it still be the completion certificate and I was told that the occupancy date wasn’t relevant, and this was at the same time as they were refusing claims due to how long the dwelling had been occupied. So pinch of salt! 

• Like 1

Yes I would agree totally, to firm up anything in writing as opposed to what some bloke (me) said on the tinternet.  Interestingly the HMRC website itself says “You must claim within 3 months of the building work being completed”. 

On 06/07/2019 at 00:20, Bozza said:

I just spoke the HMRC yesterday. I was told that your forms can go in 3 months after your entire development (as detailed in  PP) is competed, not simply when you occupy the house.  As in our case my garage, garden etc etc won’t be built within 3 months of occupancy of the house as I’m doing that work myself in slow time.  He said just submit a covering letter explaining why submitting the forms so long after occupancy.   Helpful as I thought I’d have to buy all the materials within 3 months of occupancy and have them sitting in the site for ages.

Well you best see this thread..

HM Revenue & Customs say we submitted our DIY Refund Claim too late because we moved into the house in April 2016 but only submitted refund claim in November 2018, 2 months after getting a completion certificate from local authority. 

Edited by Temp

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

Sorry didn't know some were restricted. I also didn't notice the final post that says the OP eventually won their case.

HMRC lost at least one tribunal case and now appear to have been reconsidering their approach.