self build.....where to start.....

Amateur bob

im thinking of doing a self build but as my name suggests i dont know that much about it, i have a potential plot my dad is going to give me so whats the next stage?

sign it over then apply for planning OR go to a lender and see how much i can afford? then work out size of house/design before applying? i have 100k to put towards the build myself and looking to build a 200m2 double storey house so say 200k total? rectangle shape to keep costs down, timber kit or block work?

any ideas or suggestions welcome

my wife earns 20k but im recently self employed and partner of business so dont have 3 years of accounts

41 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

im thinking of doing a self build but as my name suggests i dont know that much about it, i have a potential plot my dad is going to give me so whats the next stage?

sign it over then apply for planning OR go to a lender and see how much i can afford? then work out size of house/design before applying? i have 100k to put towards the build myself and looking to build a 200m2 double storey house so say 200k total? rectangle shape to keep costs down, timber kit or block work?

any ideas or suggestions welcome

my wife earns 20k but im recently self employed and partner of business so dont have 3 years of accounts

I thought someone had already suggested 

YOU NEED TO TALK TO A GOOD ACCOUNTANT. 

Why are you building this house???

you seam to be adjusting it to meet a budget, does this mean you will end up with something you don’t like

better to build something you want and finish it later, get a shell up and move in 

why build a simple square box if it’s not what you want. 

Unless that hat is your building to ultimately sell on in which case

you still need to see that accountant. 

@Amateur bob its a bit like groundhog day!

I think answers to the questions you are asking here have already been given in your earlier posts?

I think you need professional advice about the timing of the plot transfer.  Go and speak to your lawyer and accountant.  Then when you see the way to go (and for your father the financial implications of how and when it is done) you can go forward to consider how to approach it and raise funds to build.

Just as an aside personally I dont think you will build a 200sqm house for 200k budget to include everything.....planning and drawings, services etc all out of the 200k?

Self build is not to be taken lightly, it takes a lot of time and a lot of guts to successfully complete a self build and by the end of it you’ll have aged considerably!

To do it on a tight budget you have to be willing to forego a lot of your normal life, although we are now completing our third self build we spent at least a year in the planning of it, and during the build we have had no holidays, only a couple of meals out unless you count takeaways and have dressed like a pair of tramps, this life is not for everyone, my own family wouldn’t even consider it as they are too used to having holidays and nights out but this is the life we chose, a determination to have something better, a bloody lot of hard work!

Your situation is a little similar to ours. Firstly go to the planning office and see what their view on a building a house on the plot of land you are intending. If it is within the scope of their policy and they say it is likely to be viewed positively, and listen closely to what will and won't be acceptable. Then suss out a budget, there's no point getting plans for a huge 4 bed, if you have no money, then find a architect or perhaps even look at 'wee houses' which are made off site and come with full building plans. 

Once you have full planning permission, then you can apply to the land registry to divide the title. 

2 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Self build is not to be taken lightly, it takes a lot of time and a lot of guts to successfully complete a self build and by the end of it you’ll have aged considerably!

To do it on a tight budget you have to be willing to forego a lot of your normal life, although we are now completing our third self build we spent at least a year in the planning of it, and during the build we have had no holidays, only a couple of meals out unless you count takeaways and have dressed like a pair of tramps, this life is not for everyone, my own family wouldn’t even consider it as they are too used to having holidays and nights out but this is the life we chose, a determination to have something better, a bloody lot of hard work!

Sound advice.  We have built 6 houses over the last 25 years and it is a LOT of work.  Heed all the advice an go in with your eyes open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why are you building this house???

you seam to be adjusting it to meet a budget, does this mean you will end up with something you don’t like

better to build something you want and finish it later, get a shell up and move in 

why build a simple square box if it’s not what you want. 

Unless that hat is your building to ultimately sell on in which case

you still need to see that accountant. 

the idea of getting a shell up and moving in isnt a bad one, do many people do this? ill need the heating and kitchen/ toilet facilities in for that though, ill be speaking to professionals soon im just getting some ideas for myself on here first

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

@Amateur bob its a bit like groundhog day!

I think answers to the questions you are asking here have already been given in your earlier posts?

I think you need professional advice about the timing of the plot transfer.  Go and speak to your lawyer and accountant.  Then when you see the way to go (and for your father the financial implications of how and when it is done) you can go forward to consider how to approach it and raise funds to build.

Just as an aside personally I dont think you will build a 200sqm house for 200k budget to include everything.....planning and drawings, services etc all out of the 200k?

as said before ill speak to professionals soon but they do charge for the pleasure id rather get some rough knowledge for myself first, is their much i can leave out to cut the costs down to then finish at a later date?

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

Your situation is a little similar to ours. Firstly go to the planning office and see what their view on a building a house on the plot of land you are intending. If it is within the scope of their policy and they say it is likely to be viewed positively, and listen closely to what will and won't be acceptable. Then suss out a budget, there's no point getting plans for a huge 4 bed, if you have no money, then find a architect or perhaps even look at 'wee houses' which are made off site and come with full building plans. 

Once you have full planning permission, then you can apply to the land registry to divide the title. 

yes ive tried that the want me to pay for preaplication advice and not that much less than proper planning application, is it likely that building companies out there will do the planning app for me/give me a quote of total cost upfront and build it for me or is that just wishful thinking?

14 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

yes ive tried that the want me to pay for preaplication advice and not that much less than proper planning application, is it likely that building companies out there will do the planning app for me/give me a quote of total cost upfront and build it for me or is that just wishful thinking?

Yes to all of those. Starting at about £2000m2

I think we've been here before.

26 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

you seem to be trying to get all this advice and information on the NHS  

without doing the hard yards yourself--and with an unrealistic budget 

It don,t work like that and remember the old adage 

offer  peanuts and all you get is  monkey's.

please accept the prices you have been quoted as correct  £1300 -2000 pr sqm --dependant on your choice of materials and fitments 

cheaper is good --but don,t bet on it  at this stage  --in that price is professional costs for plans and advice 

you got to spend some money to see if it is viable  -

PP is the first money you need to spend ,if you don,t have a plan ready to accompany a full planning application 

that means an architect to draw up the plans after he has discussed what you want and what you can afford 

not trying to be hard on you --but at some point you have to spend some money 

i recently blew £500 on a topographical survey on some land to prove what i thought that the planning  was not usable .cos the detail on it given by land owner was incorrect -

didn't buy the land so saved myself a lot more than the cost of the survey 

Edited by scottishjohn

We are relatively young (or was when we started!) and have learned the hard way for the past 5 years, still haven’t broken ground and have spent more than I would like to admit! But for us there is a specific reason for us needing to be at this location, this is what is driving us, I guess everyone else has there own reasons.

Just be prepared to pay more than your budgeting for...it’s not a walk in the park as I was led to believe and no procedure to follow. Talk to the local counsellors they can be very helpful, architects, builders, read books, planners, this forum!

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

the idea of getting a shell up and moving in isnt a bad one, do many people do this? ill need the heating and kitchen/ toilet facilities in for that though, ill be speaking to professionals soon im just getting some ideas for myself on here first

We are living in our unfinished new build.  Circumstances did not pan out as we planned so we are currently very slowly finishing the house as we live in it.

we have had enough money to buy plot with pp, get all prof work done inc structural engineer, building regs, services to site and site cleared and foundations done.  Oh and buy sofa and bed! go figure lol. All that will be done by end of the summer and then its month by month pay as we go ?  In no rush though, renting a place round the corner so can take 3 years if needed but we will have a brand new house with no mortgage or debts so well happy. Fortunatly we have quite a bit of spare cash each month but reckon we will come in under 1000 per sq metre. I think once you get past foundations the next area where unexpected costs crop us is expensive kitchens, fixtures and fittings. More relaxed about doing it ourselves rather than getting a builder in and sweating they arnt doing a good job. And northern so tight

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Holy cow! How?

Please tell me that included building regs sign off!

Nope just full pp. 

topo survey

flood risk survey

contaminated land survey

architect

planning consultant

ecology survey

landscape designers, photos

you can spend it real quick if you try. 

11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I thought a pre app was about £500

if your not prepared to do that I think you should walk away now. 

My planning application cost £14,600. 

Why would a building company do an application for you. 

£14,600??? i was told around £200 for pre aplication advice plus os map, £400 for planning application

11 hours ago, Alex C said:

Yes to all of those. Starting at about £2000m2

I think we've been here before.

this is the bit im struggling with £2000m2, just to build it when the plots already owned? id be cheaper buying a house than building it at that, and thats before you add plot value