Alibaba

K78

Has anyone used Alibaba? Prices are really good. I’m aware of import duty and shipping times. 

I’ve imported car parts from japan and USA in the past. 

I used it for the first time this year.

Ordered two light fittings from two companies on the same day back in February.

One light fitting arrived in a couple of weeks

Second fitting is still in customs

Both fittings were of similar value.

• Like 1

I bought a small, fanless, mini PC through Alibaba a year ago.  Turned out to be very well made and reliable.  The price was very competitive when compared to anywhere else, probably because I believe the Chinese government subsidise export shipping.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, K78 said:

I’m thinking of ordering brick slips. The saving is considerable. 

External ones...? I doubt they will meet any UK standards, and the shipping will be eye-watering I expect. 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

External ones...? I doubt they will meet any UK standards, and the shipping will be eye-watering I expect. 

also what if you need to return because they either look crap or colours / batch's don't match

50 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They are for internal use. Sea freight isn’t bad but takes 4-6 weeks.

25 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why would a brick slip need to meet a British standard. 

Frost protection ..? Basically if the slips aren’t frost proof they will spall in the winter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Regular buying from Ali express. Quality is mixed. Can be lucky sometimes. The real super cheap stuff is mostly also cheap made so I started staying clear of that. You can get fittings and other bits (others here bought lamps) with CE standard so will meet current British standards. And most of it is a fair bit cheaper than  cheapest UK supplies even after shipping. As of returns, buy it on credit card and Ali will take care of it, no problem. Only takes ages and you will pay for shipping.

And btw., I just discovered, do not buy clothes there.  A Chinese 5XL is barely a British Large(and 5xl is most of the time the biggest size they have) ?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...