Painting A Panelled Door

Onoff

Figured these various questions I've been raising on doors, hinges etc stand alone...

I'm aware there's a correct method for painting a panelled door. I'll be delving into my 30 year old Readers Digest DIY book for that.

When painting door and frame, do you fit the side and top stop pieces to the jams first or after painting the door?

Bit different for the majority here with oiled doors but I'm thinking thickness of primer and paint.

Cheers 

hinged_door_parts_diagram12.jpg.8aa6f39fbed23947fc6fb96f0558caf0.jpg

Fit the door, 

fit door stops using a small packer to allow for paint thickness, 1.5mm?? That might sound a lot but think of 5 coats over time. 

Remove door, decorators caulk all gaps, smooth off with finger, get priming, 

3) throw that book away or you will still be at it next week. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Fit the door, 

fit door stops using a small packer to allow for paint thickness, 1.5mm?? That might sound a lot but think of 5 coats over time. 

Remove door, decorators caulk all gaps, smooth off with finger, get priming, 

3) throw that book away or you will still be at it next week. 

I did wonder about say a 1mm packer between the stop and door stile but didn't want things "loose".

I use a 1mm Packer between door and jam when fitting the doors but that’s with painted frames but oiled doors, so maybe 1.5mm if your painting the doors as well. (I still have my readers digest home manual book from the 1980,s).

27 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I use a 1mm Packer between door and jam when fitting the doors but that’s with painted frames but oiled doors, so maybe 1.5mm if your painting the doors as well. (I still have my readers digest home manual book from the 1980,s).

I might go for 1mm as hoping they won't be on there for too long before I "go oak".

I've that RD book and the Collins one of the same era. Still very valid stuff.

Painting these cheap embossed Wickes doors...

The Wickes instructions say that after trimming and fitting all locks, hinges etc, cut edges should be primed AND under coated before top coating. Keen to use what I have, then the primer can be some MDF primer I have from TS. I think I've a random tin of undercoat, it might even be primer / undercoat.

It's the top coat where I'm stuck. Half thinking Dulux Matt Diamond to match the ceiling and be hard wearing/wipeable. Or would a satin be better?

door stop fitted to the head first, 1-1.5mm clearance on hinging side running to tight on striking side. hinging side clearance equal to top and parallel, striking side tight to door.

cut edge of mdf if coated with neat pva left to dry and sanded will be as good a finish as face.  where's the copyright credit for city and guilds pic? :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

On 06/06/2019 at 20:43, Simplysimon said:

door stop fitted to the head first, 1-1.5mm clearance on hinging side running to tight on striking side. hinging side clearance equal to top and parallel, striking side tight to door.

cut edge of mdf if coated with neat pva left to dry and sanded will be as good a finish as face.  where's the copyright credit for city and guilds pic? :ph34r:

Thanks. Are these figures pre painting? 

I'm going to btw, take the door off and paint it on trestle.

1 hour ago, Simplysimon said:

yup, if you leave to door swinging you can paint all five surfaces with minimal dust sheeting.  the temperature won't help drying if outdoors and if doing it indoors leave it hung.

I have to take it off imo as they're the doors to/in a wet room and I want to paint the bottom edge. Don't want to get the hinges messy either.

Edited by Onoff

Sod it! Cupboard door off. Never painted a panelled door in my life.

Wickes instructions:

20190612_200225.thumb.jpg.f8010a39ad1c0896022cca9740e76479.jpg

Going to be one of these as a first coat over the bare edges and factory white (primed?) faces rather than a primer first:

20190612_194346.thumb.jpg.c7bcb97211780969d0be2f3e6803e009.jpg

The acrylic primer sounds good?

Only place to paint it is in the actual bathroom so I've spread out an 8x5m tarp as best as to protect things:

20190612_194111.thumb.jpg.defaa3273b581e7c103db16862b649ec.jpg

Need to be done by 9 to watch Wild Bill on ITV! ?

Is there really going to be that much difference in quality between Dulux and Leyland? Is it paying for a name with in the case of Dulux?

Screenshot_20190613-002045_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7c8e6963c35862b4e188f263ec26695f.jpg

Or do I really splash out and go for the Diamond stuff? Tbh seems daft if I'm changing to oak veneered later!

41pVazA4oiL._AC_SY400_.jpg.3a8c32eda04bbf25e176bfaecd21936c.jpg

Edited by Onoff

This satin paint isn't as "glossy" as I'd hoped. Not sure if it was because I brushed it on then rollered it?

Might try a 3rd, roller applied wet coat.

Edited by Onoff

42 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Lol, maybe you wanted to paint it in gloss!

I can hear SWMBO now; "Is that the finished coat?"

Tbh the acrylic primer's glossier than this!