Ball park 137m2 build cost

Dan1983

15 minutes ago, Dan1983 said:

I think different people tune in to different noises.

I heard a couple of set ups and know it would bug me if I was sat in the garden.

They also seem to get very mixed reviews.

Some say they are great others say they would not have one out of choice.

When it's warm enough to sit in the garden the heating won;t be on. so the only thing that would cause my ASHP to fire up is hot water water heating.  If it did decide to fire up while i was sitting in the garden I would just come in and turn the DHW off (and put it on again later)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry was meant to read stone sills not

lintels.

Still trying to decide on door

colours.

Was going anthracite to match the soffits/fascia but think this may

look too modern and dark/ un inviting.

Thinking of going elephant grey and same on the garage roller shutters as

would kind of tie in with the stone sills.

EF335-A62-780-C-48-AD-AF36-9678-E11-F4-E

Believe it was quoted at 275k as turn key with standard white interior walls etc

We are 10k over budget so far (went in with a 20k slush fund).

Wife has now employed an interior designer which was actually way cheaper than I thought and has also helped massively with colours etc

Plan is now to have all rooms finished in colour and touch up if required.

Walls are dot and dab with spray on plaster so hopefully not too much movement whilst house dries out.

We also plan to have a shingle drive and patio as may as well do that now less the VAT.

Ideally bring it in under 300k

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 02:07, Dan1983 said:

Sorry was meant to read stone sills not

lintels.

Still trying to decide on door

colours.

Was going anthracite to match the soffits/fascia but think this may

look too modern and dark/ un inviting.

Thinking of going elephant grey and same on the garage roller shutters as

would kind of tie in with the stone sills.

EF335-A62-780-C-48-AD-AF36-9678-E11-F4-E

I went with anthracite matching door and it looks good but with hindsight I perhaps should have gone for something a bit different light grey or maybes a light sage.  I think you’re right to consider something a little different for your front elevation, just to lighten it up and add interest.  I love your design btw, please don’t see that as a criticism.  I really like the symmetric elevation, kind of Georgian.  Couple of tall plants either side of your door would look really nice, if your not doing a porch or anything.  We went for slate too you won’t regret that decision. 

Thank-you Bozza,

Thinking I need something fairly neutral as needs to tie in with the garage doors to keep my OCD happy ?

I love sage/ french sage but not sure if this would look good on the garage doors.

Porch wise it will be oak with slate again.

Hoping the windows will give the house a cottage feel/ look

On 01/11/2021 at 20:07, ProDave said:

When it's warm enough to sit in the garden the heating won;t be on. so the only thing that would cause my ASHP to fire up is hot water water heating.  If it did decide to fire up while i was sitting in the garden I would just come in and turn the DHW off (and put it on again later)

bit like putting the 50p's into the electric meter in the 70's.

• 2 weeks later...

Glazing onsite, Rehau Rio flush casement, clotted cream colour still quite white, was hoping for more of a yellow tone but still looks good.

when you hold it against white it’s totally different so fingers crossed it will be nice when fitted.

May end up changing the opaque bathroom glazing as the frosting makes them look to different to a normal window.

First fix this week for alarm and cctv

A1-EEA5-E9-9-BFF-4-B6-F-B05-A-434-F7-DB6
3-F4-B1-F6-E-6-DA4-44-F2-8-EC6-527-D2585
4-EC8-CA7-B-E408-4-AB5-812-B-C093-C5-AF1
8128-F0-CC-F9-E6-4-C8-F-9998-0-EDA56-CB9

Edited by Dan1983
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Nick,

Getting everything as symmetrical as

possible was the aim as hate things looking out of place.

In person there is more colour in the windows, they are clotted cream rather than white (astragal bars still to be added)

Think the window has been left out as stone sill was damaged and only just been sorted/ fitted 

Kind of wish I’d paid extra for white mortar but the light grey does show up a bit more in person.

starting to eat into contingency budget now though.

I really thought once the outside was done that would be most of the variations done but we are struggling to stick to PC sum on the interior.

Just trying to decide if its worth spending extra on stone tile floor in hall/ kitchen or try and find a nice luxury vinyl?

Just thinking we should go stone tile now whilst not paying VAT, but looking at +£65 sq mtr over the vinyl click on quote.

Probably use Karndean in the lounge then carpet upstairs 

Maybe put down some porcelain tile or hardwood.  It is too late to grieve about the mortar colour.  I am considering using silver sand, white cement and lime on a project but I may just go with whatever is cheapest.  I would need the brickies to use the special mix for the external brickwork only.  Odds on they just use it everywhere.

• Thanks 1

could be a trick of the photo but the window above porch doesn't look central over it ?

amtico flooring karndean clone a lot cheaper.

shame you didn't opt for 2600 ceilings would have looked great, one of my bug bears the roof touching the top of windows.

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Thanks 1

Will check Dave but I think it’s the angle I’ve taken the photo at with regards to window.

The plan was 2 courses of brick over the top windows as I also hate the windows touching the soffits.

Not sure what went wrong but they had it done as you said.

We compromised on cutting back the roof and using at 150ish fascia and soffit to give 1 course over the windows.

I think it looks good but may not be able to see it in the pictures

0802-BDD2-D2-D4-4-C4-F-8749-D620-E594-EB
remove duplicate elements

Edited by Dan1983
  • Like 1