Ball park 137m2 build cost

Dan1983

9 minutes ago, Dan1983 said:

There is demolition but existing bungalow foot print is larger than house foot print so ground work should be average.

There was a double garage in that cost in oak/timber 7x6m

In that case it’s probably very similar to the prices I have. 

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I went out for a drink with 2 very reputable builders last nigh, both fully booked for a year. 

They said they are pricing at £1500 a m at the moment, for shell only, so wind and watertight with first fix electrics and plumbing, second fix joinery. But no kitchen bathrooms, en-suite, tiling etc. 

They said they are getting asked for this more and more as people are finding prices out of their reach, so it gives them the opportunity to finish as and when they can. 

ties with my experience too

• 2 weeks later...

Well looking like we are back on track with budget etc.

fingers crossed we can do the house and garage build within budget.

will hopefully get the quote by Friday but approx 200k for house inc 10kish for existing bungalow demolition.

Just depends if national park will let us use UPVC windows or if they need to be wood which will bump the price up

so back to £1500 sq mtr, this is for turn key including decorating  

Edited by Dan1983

It’s a guide at the moment but he couldn’t see it being much more than 200k for the build (house not garage)

biggest variable is windows at the moment it seems but I will find out by Friday quote is fixed price.

construction just normal brick with slate roof, Elliot’s/ Howdens type kitchen and bathroom etc.

Edited by Dan1983

• 2 weeks later...

Builder back round tomorrow, house came in at 229k as overall footprint was 159m2.

Have reduced slightly as changed bi folds in lounge to a normal 3 bay window.

unfortunately looking like garage will be over budget at 35-40k so will need to maybe make some moves away from oak frame etc as garage budget needs to be 25-30k with the cost of the house.  

For anyone still interested had a good chat yesterday and managed to get house and garage in at 259k.

Working out just over £1400m2 

Need to decide heating as not sold on a combi, going to find out cost of unvented system boiler with 200ltr tank 

• 3 months later...

Dan1983, 

Have you progressed any further? How did the figures for the ground source heat pump stack up against the boiler and rads?

Thanks

PDR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Did look down the route of ASHP, it was going to add approx 10k to the build unfortunately.

Possibly short sighted but decided to stick to gas and up spec insulation to pass SAP so no renewable energy needed.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 03:24, Dan1983 said:

Did look down the route of ASHP, it was going to add approx 10k to the build unfortunately.

Possibly short sighted but decided to stick to gas and up spec insulation to pass SAP so no renewable energy needed.

wise choice. Looks a lovely plot.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dan1983 said:

Thank-you, we were also concerned about hot water temps with the ASHP as heard they can be on the lower side

This isn’t strictly true - doing the research into R32 filled heat pumps you would find you can get the same tank temperatures albeit at lower CoP. Using the tank immersions also brings the temperatures up. 

53 minutes ago, PeterW said:

This isn’t strictly true - doing the research into R32 filled heat pumps you would find you can get the same tank temperatures albeit at lower CoP. Using the tank immersions also brings the temperatures up. 

I think this is an important point with ASHP's: Roughly the higher the temperature your asking the unit to produce inside your home, above the outside temperature, the lower the CoP. The lower the CoP the less efficient and the more costly to run. Hence the bigger the emitters, the lower the water temperature needs to be to bring the temp to the desired amount, the more efficient.

A larger lower temperature hot water tank the more efficient the ASHP works, the less energy it uses, the less cost to run.

Who said size wasn't important?

Edited by Marvin
Clarification, hopefully.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

Thank-you, we were also concerned about hot water temps with the ASHP as heard they can be on the lower side

I've mine set at 50 degrees which is plenty hot enough!

With the RHI grant I think you're mad not to go for ASHP but each to their own. What I would definitely recommend is design all emitters (UFH + rads) to run at a low flow temperature, so that you can just plonk in a ASHP in future. Of course, if you run a gas boiler at 50 degrees you get the full benefit of the condenser so will use less gas now. 

People who run their condensing gas boilers at 65+ degrees lose any efficiency advantage and just wasted money on condensing unit. 

• Like 1

If it's either/or then this is exactly the right decision. The insulation will last many decades, not be obsoleted by new technology, and would have been significantly more expensive to retrofit than do as you build.

While I'm really happy with our ASHP, I couldn't promise any of these points about it. In 10 years I expect they'll be more efficient and cheaper

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

Mine is too hot if anything. I keep forgetting to turn it down on the controller 

RHI would pay for the ASHP.   It's worth considering, yours is an ideal build. If you are already going with UFH, then it's a decision you can make later in the build, although putting an insulated twin pipe duct in from where you would site the ASHP to the area of the Hot Water Cylinder would be beneficial, while your ground works are being done.

Edited by IanR