Ball park 137m2 build cost

Dan1983

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Where do the duration related extra costs creep in?  I can think of material price inflation, extending site insurance, regular travel to the new build and temporary home rental costs though I know in your case this did not apply.

Perhaps not in Jeremy's case, but an increase it build time could also increase scaffolding rental costs.

Edited by AliMcLeod
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

And should be fairly safe using 1 main contractor.

Thats not a view I share given I’ve seen a fair number of main contractors go to the wall, as they are running ever decreasing margins and the subs costs are going up. 

Cost of money - and restriction on credit levels - is a big issue with main contractors and it only takes a single late VAT payment to start a downward spiral. 

Agree your stages carefully, agree the payment points carefully, and try and balance what is reasonable vs keeping your main contractor in business. You may find materials pricing for example is a few percent higher through them than you can buy however do not be surprised if they add 3-5% for handling your goods if you purchase. They still have to handle, unload and potentially use items that they may not have requested as you’ve “saved money” by buying cheap but not exactly yo spec. 

I’m aware of a situation where this happened and the customer purchased 1100m of 4x2 carcassing “cheaper” than the contractor had quoted. They “saved” £600 on the contractor quote which was fine until it transpired it was all 2.1m lengths ...... and all stud walls were 2.4m high ... total additional cost above the contractor quoted value was around £800 as it had to be used as couldn’t be returned and more had to be purchased to complete the job in addition to what was supplied ...

56 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

Perhaps not in Jeremy's case, but an increase it build time could also increase scaffolding rental costs.

I know of a local case where just the scaffolding overrun charge equated to an extra £30 per m2, he got it revised down 50%.

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Dan1983 said:

As an update to this full funds will be available in November but thinking if we should hold off whilst the brexit issues hangs over everything  

Breaking ground in November can result in a muddy mess, however your greatest challenge as a self builder is availability of competent labour. The traditional winter building downturn coupled with economic hesitation due to Brexit might be your window of opportunity. 

• 2 months later...
On 04/12/2019 at 10:39, Dan1983 said:

Well looking to get the ball rolling on this now.

Architect booked and the builder we would like to do the job is coming over later for a chat around availability etc so fingers crossed

In Lincolnshire we had double the average monthly rainfall in both October and November hence some chance the weather gods will deliver a dry'ish December and January. 

Well local builder not available next year.

Will get the plans sorted start of January then get some quotes.

Said

main issue will be demolishing the old bungalow and getting rid of it due to our narrow lane with 2 sharp 90 degree bends 

Any one have price ideas for demolition?

4 minutes ago, Dan1983 said:

Asbestos wise it has cement bound asbestos soffits and carport roof is corrugated cement bound sheets.

May just bury it under the garage etc 

The asbestos must be tested to discover the type. This can be done by yourself with a kit as I did. It must be disposed of in a professional manner and burying it in the garden is not allowed. We had Chrysotile roof slates and internal boarding which we had removed and then we dismantled the bungalow which was timber frame.

Just dropped the floor plans off to architect so will see how we get on.

They are also a quite big building company  and advised to budget £2000 m2 for a build.

At 2k m2 we will be out of budget so will see what happens.

Can only hope a smaller local builder is around the £1500 m2 range.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a million miles away from you, we are getting quotes of around 2kpsqm for a very basic build like you say, ie howdens kitchen etc. 

Good luck getting a quote for 1.5k, if you do can you pass the details on to me?

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

Plans are now drawn, been told rough estimate of 300-350k in the letter, would you usually take the VAT off or wondering if that’s is less VAT? 

Nice idea but I've never heard of anyone giving estimates or quotes Inc VAT in this industry.

Which is annoying if you're doing a deep renovation...

I went out for a drink with 2 very reputable builders last nigh, both fully booked for a year. 

They said they are pricing at £1500 a m at the moment, for shell only, so wind and watertight with first fix electrics and plumbing, second fix joinery. But no kitchen bathrooms, en-suite, tiling etc. 

They said they are getting asked for this more and more as people are finding prices out of their reach, so it gives them the opportunity to finish as and when they can.