What size ducting for services?

gwebstech

10 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Hadn't thought of that as a solution: ingenious. Any reason why metal mesh, stapled in place, wouldn't have worked?

I used a roll of s/s wire wool used to fill exhaust silencers on racing cars. Can be bought quite cheaply.

Boxed in now but my 25mm water pipe comes up in blue corrugated duct. I forced a metre of grey insulation down where it goes through the traditional footings. The rolled steel  perforated sheet is to stop the tunnel bunnies chewing things under the suspended floor.

I then pushed the foam in by an inch or so and filled with Wiska Gel. Expensive and tbh pointless in the grand scheme of things as the rest of the house is hardly airtight. My ducts about 35m long or so to the water meter. 

SAM_4101

Edited by Onoff

15 minutes ago, gwebstech said:

I was looking today and there is nowhere that out phone line comes out of the floor,  our phone connection point is on the wall above the skirting so would our line have come through the cavity?

In all probability, yes, it's just a hole drilled through the wall.  Holes in walls are OK if you're not too fussed about airtightness and drafts, but are best avoided, which is why virtually everything in our build comes up through the slab in ducts, with those ducts sealed up well with foam insulation around the cables/pipes.  Our 'phone cable comes in through a length of BT Duct 56, the grey duct that BT OpenReach free issue for running their cables underground.  BT OpenmReach prefer underground cables, as do the DNO with their power cables, as they are less likely to get damaged.

• Like 1