Retaining wall ideas.

I was set on having a woodblocx (see pic)  retaining wall but after receiving the quote for £3300 supply only I'm having to reconsider.  

I didn't really fancy brick so I guess I'm left with block and render or sleepers.  

Just wondered if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what did you choose? 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20190603-174223_Google.jpg

Gabions can look really nice. Much nicer than wood block if done right and longer lasting.  I have a lovely bench made out of left over materials and a spare gabion, its faced with the slate we used around the house but the centre is filled with site rubble. Spare larch for the top.  Looks really good.  My other gabion retaining cant be seen from our side its down in a ditch.

My main retaining wall is more than 3m high cavity wall with steel and concrete, brick one side block my side.  It is mammoth it goes right around 2 sides of the plot and the garage is built into one section. For now I have painted the block areas at the back and side of the house of with RAL7016  masonry paint...our urban chic.....it looks cool but is a temp solution.  I am exploring various options to clad it, I dont want render on that area. I used render on the front driveway area. I think block gives you a lot of options for finishes other than render.

My lower retaining walls along the front boundary are boring red brick as are the pillars,