Is PM'ing easier after the roof is on?

Wagas

I'm thinking (hoping) there's a bit less to think about once the roof is on as there's quite a lot that can go wrong up to this point, or is this just wishful thinking and the opposite is true? I'm just trying to figure out spare time I might have over the next few months as the first couple of months of build has been pretty time consuming.

Oh and do brickies ever read the notes on the detailed plans??!! Or any tradesmen for that matter? I've got laminated A1 plans with easy to follow notes on them and they act all surprised when I'm confirming finished floor level with them when it's written on the plans as clear as day.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. If you've never built a house before it's astonishing how much there is to do once you have a house-shaped object.

I'm finally coming towards the end of second fix and decorating and feel like I haven't stopped for months, and that's just with the PM and decorating on my plate.

Depends on construction method and subbies.

If traditional methods with traditional trade you would hope it wouldn't be too hard.

Likewise if modern methods using subbies well versed with them methods.

Mix the two and there will be some head scratching

Yes, wishful thinking I believe. During our build, I found the stage where the TF and roof where going on to be the least stressful part! They were taken care of by a team of erectors employed via the TF company so I had a degree of confidence in them. After that, it was down to me and the sub contractors. What helped me I believe, was our level of decision making beforehand - such as electrical points / sockets and lights etc.  and the materials to be used internally. Try to avoid last minute decision making !!

Good luck.

16 hours ago, Wagas said:

Oh and do brickies ever read the notes on the detailed plans??!! Or any tradesmen for that matter?

No. I've repeatedly had things written on a plan - even pointed it out to the tradesperson before they started - and come back to find they've done it their own way. 

Worst was the scaffolder. Gave him a simple diagram with measurements relative to the (already laid) slab. There're three bits with quite a big overhang so the scaffolding needed to step out at those points. It's noted (and highlighted) on the drawing, and I explained it to him before he started. Went to work, came back to find he'd just followed the line of the foundation the whole way around. Got him back, explained the problem, gave him another copy of the drawing, left for work, came back to find he'd only adjusted one of the overhang areas despite me pointing all of them out on the plan.

He eventually got it right.

And then wanted to charge me extra for adjustments.

Wishful thinking

I was there full time, still got interior walls in the wrong place; doorways put where it would be impossible to open them; a pir night light in the bathroom that goes off if I take longer than 2 minutes because the sensor isn't in a sight line to the loo;  a heating control stuck like a work of art right in the middle of the only plain wall in the lounge etc etc etc.  Some of the things I was asked didn't need to be because it really didn't matter BUt things that made a difference were just done to their own convenience without any consideration what I wanted or for other trades.