Potential for vaulted ceiling?

Hi all, first post, 

We own a house which has features that are listed on the outside. It's grade 2. 

I have a question about this attic area before I consult the council planners and a listed surveyor. I want to know what my chances are for a proposal. I know my question may be moot if they do not agree to the proposed change but I would like to know if the argument against it would be structural or purely a listing issue. 

Can the lathed ceiling pictured (which is too low to stand up in for anyone around 5ft 8) be taken down without affecting the structural integrity of the roof? 

I'm happy to provide more pictures if needed of specific things. 

Ideally I would like to take out the ceiling and what appear to be purlin (2x2.5 inch) above it to open up the space. 

I am not asking from the point of view of a listed surveyor, I know that's a separate issue, but from the pov of the basic structure if you have experience with working on these types of roofs. 

Many thanks for any replies, 

That looks like an A frame roof. Those cross member ceiling beams are probably what stops the roof spreading.  I don't see a ridge beam.

You would need a design by a structural engineer to alter the roof possibly by inserting a ridge beam or purlins to support the roof. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the speedy reply. My next job is to get a quote in then ? 

There is already a dormer window so it wouldn't be a fully fledged conversion. Is this a complicated job (what you're describing) assuming it doesn't involve accessing/changing the roof from the outside? Many thanks, 

2 minutes ago, Teddysheart said:

I'm not sure I have anything to add here except to say I wouldn't need to move that purlin with the red arrow and that I doubt the 2x2.5 inch batons would hold hold a medium sized dog so not sure how much they can be doing! ?

If they are stopping the roof from spreading, they would be in tension, so could be doing quite a lot.

How much are you hoping to raise the ceiling, or do you not want a ceiling just open right to the ridge?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teddysheart said:

I'm not sure I have anything to add here except to say I wouldn't need to move that purlin with the red arrow and that I doubt the 2x2.5 inch batons would hold hold a medium sized dog so not sure how much they can be doing! ?

The ceiling joists only need to be small, as most of the load in them will be tensile, holding the rafters together to prevent spreading, I think, as @ProDave has said above .  It looks like there are purlins in place, one being the one that @PeterW has marked with a red arrow, and they will be helping to tie things together too. 

As for possibilities for raising the ceiling, based on the info in those photos I'd say that it may well be reasonably easy to do, but that I would guess that the new ceiling joists would need to be fitted before the old ones were removed, and an SE would need to advise as to what's needed.

• Like 1

There should be a purlin both sides. That takes the roof weight so nothing else needed (no ridge beam  @ProDave

Those others are ceiling joists and I’d be inclined before you remove the old ones to use that as a platform to install some new ones higher up, then remove the old ceiling. 

Downside will be the whole lot will need to be brought up to building regs and you’ll possibly have to use PUR as the rafters aren’t that deep

Edited by PeterW
Crossed with @jsharris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Teddysheart said:
[...]
I would like to know if the argument against it would be structural or purely a listing issue.
[...]

Treat it as both.

The issue is in any case structural.  As such, why  bother to ask an SE (Structural Engineer) to become involved before you have double checked the listing issue with the relevant authorities? 

You might need to phrase your enquiry very carefully indeed, I suspect. For example, you could enquire about repairing the ceiling and listen between the lines ... 

• Like 1

My parents did some of this. Often it will look more attractive if you just leave most of the beams there.

One warning - COs have very long memories and very deep filing cabinets.

When we lived as a family in a listed Hall for nearly 4 decades, it was in a copse and dad did various useful things that would cause a blizzard of paperwork now. We had one CO visit, who was a chap dad had fallen out with a decade previously, and they never returned for 30 years until we were selling. They even had trouble finding us when on the way - and it can be seen from the M1.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1