Shedxtension

Onoff

I was given a free shed and didn't stop to think! I merrily went ahead, picked a spot out and excavated it. I build a base with a decent slab with a DMP underneath. I then built dwarf walls from some left over stocks and Celcon blocks and erected the shed on top.

SAM_7131_zps60fca414

SAM_7212_zps3a6843e2

SAM_7217_zps402ee44d

SAM_7258_zps850ddfa0

Tbh I should have chopped the thing up for firewood and sold it at the gate in bags putting the cash towards a proper shed! Given the available area it's not big enough to swing a cat in. But we are where we are...

Looking then to, as cheap as possible, add a small side extension on. (Tbh I want to knock down the treehouse and wendy house elsewhere and build a 30m2 passive esque shed come garden room with green roof but that's for another thread). I'd put the little extension in the excavated bit where the water barrel is:

SAM_7329_zpsb4906bb6

The site slopes so I was thinking maybe cast a waterproof concrete wall on 2 maybe 2.5 sides and key a new slab into the existing one. If I cast the base first with some rebar sticking up around the edges then the walls later I assume I'll get seepage through between the new L shaped wall and base? Or do I cast floor and walls in two hits then just paint the outside with a liquid DPM?

This is tbh only to store a few garden tools, old knackered cement mixer etc. I'll strap a sturdy door post to the existing shed side and make some double doors. As to how I integrate with the existing felt roof...

shedx

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

Just now, PeterW said:

Is this having a bathroom in it..???

Bearing in mind you'll have finished the house one before this project starts won't you...??? ??

The ballast is just sitting there waiting to be mixed! Hardcore at the ready. There's a new wind in my sails at the moment seemingly!

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

I can’t believe you cut those blocks around those bricks. 

Nearly spat my tea on the laptop. 

I was impressed, celcons are so easy to cut, bit different with concrete blocks here.

• 2 months later...

What was I thinking! When I brought home and reassembled the freebie shed above (first mistake) I left a 4' wide dugout bit for a "mower shed". 

I mean seriously, 4' wide, what use is that? Should I just get the rest dug out and double the shed size to something useable? At the mo it's 10'x8'

As per the start of the thread half a plan to cast the dwarf walls in waterproof concrete as it'll be cut into the slope:

IMG_20190823_200248624

IMG_20190823_200155596

IMG_20190823_200044594

On 03/06/2019 at 12:50, Russell griffiths said:

I can’t believe you cut those blocks around those bricks. 

Nearly spat my tea on the laptop. 

@Onoff is a One-off.

Kyrie eleison .

(My iPad cannot even get liturgical Greek right without mangling it.  Lord, have mercy ... since no one asked.)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back on this, maybe...for something to do! Primarily I've a jumbo bag of amassed hardcore to get rid of! (About 10 bags in reality but one in particular is annoying SWMBO!). 

Planning as above  to extend the shed towards the pile of cuttings. 

SAM_7329_zpsb4906bb6

First thing is to clear out the previously excavated area to the side. Fill with hardcore, whack and extend the base by however big I decide. I don't think tbh the current excavation is enough to double the length of the shed. Might have to get the digger back.

Still can't decide on bricking, blocking or casting the new side walls. Whatever they'll be up against dirt. If I cast the slab then the walls how do I stop water ingress at the joint? Don't really want to do a water bar. 

shedx

This shows it before. Tbh I don't want to get too close to the old stable in the background:

SAM_7116_zps271859fc

Maybe I go with just a small extension and stick the gardening tools in there...

IMG_20190823_200044594

Then how to do the roof felt join, existing to new. At the mo it's a traditional underlay then green mineral cap sheet all put on with copious amounts of adhesive! 

Wtf didn't I just build a bigger shed from scratch instead of all this pi$$ing about? ?

• Haha 1

Throw out all the junk that you will have in there and put in a very old shagged out armchair. Get in there and write a book. The new film studio that is going to be built in Herfordshire will be looking for new material, and they say that we all have One book in us.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

At my Public School it was a couple of Jocks.

Ben Doon and Phil McCaffity.

True story. As a wet behind the ears 17/18 year old I was off to see an architect years ago called Richard Doon. My governor, straight faced said he knew Richard's brother Ben and I should ask after him.

I did. 

• 4 weeks later...

Self isolating after a positive test I sent off my PCR test in the post this morning. Hoping I'm over the worst of the cold like symptoms. So bored and banished to the garden during the day (I also have shed, garage and stable options).

Decided to clear out the (previously clear) dug out bit next to the shed:

IMG_20210913_100026251.thumb.jpg.925f58c7ad7ba5ebbdf022a752ae439c.jpg

IMG_20210913_144721706_HDR.thumb.jpg.ce00c0664fe7d82b1f561575d6c17743.jpg

IMG_20210913_150919021.thumb.jpg.37ab151d193e2b76f7232e58f26ab2ba.jpg

Seriously considering a slab, dwarf walls in brick or block the pallet walls.

Someone pull me up on this, current shed is 10' wide, 8' deep. If I go with what I've got then the add on shed will be only 4' wide by 8 deep.

Worth bothering?

Determined to keep moving and not let this bloody virus take hold. Hopefully being double jabbed it stays as a mild dose! Best I think I've felt today, just down to tired and achy now. Voice a tad hoarse still. 

Edited by Onoff

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So bored

How the (expletive deleted) can you be bored . I’ll help you with a to do list ….

Bathroom ufh

Boxing in boiler 

Bathroom rotating magic shower head 

Glory hole doorbell thing 

(expletive deleted) the (expletive deleted)ing shed and finish those jobs you idle (expletive deleted) 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

How the (expletive deleted) can you be bored . I’ll help you with a to do list ….

Bathroom ufh

Boxing in boiler 

Bathroom rotating magic shower head 

Glory hole doorbell thing 

(expletive deleted) the (expletive deleted)ing shed and finish those jobs you idle (expletive deleted) 

That's it, take advantage of me when I'm at my lowest! 

You really know how to hurt a man!

Edited by Onoff