Contemporary Carport

I’d like a little more man cave space, and at the side of the house we have a kinda 8m*4m space. Bounding this on one side is a two story gable end and the other longside is a stream that’s about 4-5ft lower than ground level. 

What i’d Like to do is build a car port over this, using these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312501184196

this would then give us a potential for a balcony that is among the trees and with a view back to the waterfall. 

We then construct a light weight glazed structure at the rear as an office possible based on this 

https://www.cncdesign.co.uk/oval-glamping-pod-frame-kit-3000-4000.html

so the question is. What sort of foundation does it need? Couple of pavers laid on sharp sand ?!?? ? 

A pod won't need PP as it's a single storey garden building.

But there is a height limit from the ground on a permitted development garden building, which your pod would surely exceed if it happened to be on top of a car port.

59 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A pod won't need PP as it's a single storey garden building.

But there is a height limit from the ground on a permitted development garden building, which your pod would surely exceed if it happened to be on top of a car port.

We’ll need planning undoubtedly. But what about BR? 

1 minute ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Well your "pod" would be a portable building so should be exempt.  I don't think building regs have an issue about a portable building being up on a platform.

28 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Not quite clear what you are planning here, but it sounds like a Covered Yard to me. Class 7a exemption from Building Regs.

If it s actually a Car port open on 2 sides that would be exempt under 7b.

If it is not a covered yard put 2 doors in and make it a Covered Way. AIUI a covered yard or covered way can be fully enclosed.

Presumably if you make it 8m x 3.74m you also avoid PP.

I would think about your glamming pod later, but make the structure strong enough and flat enough.

What do you plan to do in it? If you can get a car in they are likely to argue it is a car port, which should not have too many implications. Unless it is enclosed on 3 sides ? in which case you suddenly need BR.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Run the Covered Yard or Way past your architect; he will not know what one is, just like everybody else and the law. Would love to hear his perspective.

When I did one I just tried to make sure it wasn’t anything that was regulated, and I have not been challenged so have not had to test my arguments.

Reading a previous thread of mine, I came across the Planning Officer Serenade. Does yours love you, @Lesgrandepotato?

Edited by Ferdinand

@le-cerveau

This is a post with a useful summary from Slough Council copied from another thread:

Useful summary from Slough Council:

You need to apply for building regulations approval for most building work, but there are some exceptions. Work that does not need building regulations approval is summarised below. But remember, your work may need planning permission even if it does not need building regulations approval.

To help you decide if you need either or both a Building Regulation Application and a Planning Application, please visit the interactive Planning Portal visual guide.

• Conservatory: A conservatory must be constructed mostly of transparent or translucent materials (typically at least 75% of the roof and 50% of the walls). It must be attached to the house at ground storey and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2. Any opening between the conservatory and the house must be fitted with a door(s). Certain glazed panels need to be safety glass. Check with us if you have any doubts.
  • Detached garage: A garage must contain no sleeping accommodation and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2. It must be at least 1m from any boundary or else be substantially built with non-combustible materials.
  • Porch: A porch must be used for no other purpose with no permanent opening into the house. It must not exceed 30m2 in floor area. Certain glazed panels need to be laminated or toughened glass – check with us if in doubt.
  • Carport: A carport must be open on at least two sides and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2. (Note: doors do not count as an open side).
  • Covered way/yard: A covered way or covered yard must be attached to a house and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2.
  • Detached building - non residential (shed etc): A detached building must contain no sleeping accommodation and have a floor area not exceeding 15m2.
  • Detached building - residential: Normally, a Building Regulations application is not required for a residential building providing it is detached with a floor area of under 30 square metres. And with no drainage or cooking facilities, made substantially from non combustible materials if within 1 metre of any boundary, and the sole use of which is ancillary to the main property. Any electrical installations or other controlled services or fittings would need to comply with the building regulations.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand