Your Home Made Perfect - Best design prog I have seen

I have been catching up with this TV Prog (BBC2).

The premise is to get 2 contrasting schemes from 2 contrasting architects. For the episodes I have seen one has usually been a "fat at the back" 2000s traditional modernisation, but the latest I saw had one "on the angle", and the other as an intelligent reconfiguration.

I like that it uses entirely ordinary homes in ordinary places with ordinary people on ordinary budgets - the one I have last watched was a couple in a bog standard right-to-buy Council House on a corner plot - and I can find 20 exactly like that within a mile of my desk. In this case it works, and the projects are built-with-modifications.

And for me it has the best engagement with the client, rather than with not-yet-famous experts on the make. There is just the presenter and 2 architects - following the BBC template of "sensible woman" and " male character".

There is virtual reality tech-gimmickry which blows Sarah Beeny's LCD Floor into a cocked hat, but is in a mainly supporting role.

My only annoyance beyond "talking up the tech" segments is a presenter with a slight need to diss rather than explain whatever went before.

They are no the BBC2 iPlayer here. Be quick - Episode 1 has already dropped off the end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00048xh/your-home-made-perfect

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Your wish....

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/factual-entertainment/your-home-made-perfect-bbc2/5135865.article

Also they use Sian from Moregeous as a consultant iirc. It is like Millionaire with thier questions-first, they do the big reveal at the start, and the tension is in the family story and the choice between the Blue Pill and the Red Pill.

https://moregeous.com/2019/01/28/new-trailer-your-home-made-perfect/

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoyed this series - the Irish architect was always more 'out there' in design, so got chosen less often, but his triangular extortion in the first episode was very clever, especially playing with the floor levels to demarcate living zones.

Agree that it's refreshing to see them stick to the budget in a practical fashion (no painted OSB as a wall finish here).

We agreed that a VR representation of our build would have been cool, not sure we'd have changed anything but it was only when the frame was fully erected with internal walls etc that we were confident that our design decisions were correct. 

5 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

I think it's a great programme, even pushed me to invest in some of the VR goggles and software to help show clients designs!

How have you found having VR compared to eg a 3D walkthrough on a 3D package such as ArchiCAD on a large screen? Are you able to walk around with your client inside the model?

I think one main reason the programme works is that we get to see serious struggles upfront whilst conceptualising  the design.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

30 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Really enjoyed this series - the Irish architect was always more 'out there' in design, so got chosen less often, but his triangular extortion in the first episode was very clever, especially playing with the floor levels to demarcate living zones.

Agree that it's refreshing to see them stick to the budget in a practical fashion (no painted OSB as a wall finish here).

We agreed that a VR representation of our build would have been cool, not sure we'd have changed anything but it was only when the frame was fully erected with internal walls etc that we were confident that our design decisions were correct. 

I disagreed on the levels

changes.

For me the demarcation of space is good, but the complete non-accessibility of it would make it a total no-no in most circumstances,

I like that there are not many things that are completely out there, rather that things that are reasonably established in different places are used in a new setting. Examples of this are the slice taken out of the roof in ep 2 and done with a greenhouse like roof directly onto the rafters, and hidden bed in Ep3 ... that was seen in a lot of tiny flat designs a couple real ago.

Another interesting thing in the series is that there is very little about upstairs ..it is all about the key downstairs places.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 4 months later...

A new episode is available now. 

This is a "screenshot" of the design. 

Is this even OK from BC point of view? The Irish architect redesigned a narrow kitchen into - well, a narrow kitchen with a step behind which looks pretty dangerous to me: yes, it is only 20cm, but one can have a hot pan while accidentally making this step. Very surprised he did it this way. 

20191012_121823.jpg