Hello all

Dan1983

Morning all,

Just a post to say hi as I’m new here but been reading up on the forum for a little while!

We are looking to do a 137m2 house build towards the end of the year/ early next year if our budget allows.

We had planning permission to extend our existing bungalow but after a few quotes it was not coming in at the estimated 150k that the architect quoted, more like 185k inc vat.

After a re think and a few years later we have decided to try and go for a new build house.

We are in the new forest park/ Salisbury so restricted to 137m2 build.

Looking to keep things fairly generic and have a max budget of 240k ideally with some left over to start a garage build.

Will be really after some opinions if our budget is realistic as abit worried about going over as that is our limit I think.

Will upload some floor plans etc later this evening 

Thanks for reading my essay!

Hi and welcome.

That gives you a budget of £1750 per square metre.

I suspect that will be tight if you are expecting someone to just come in and build the house for you, but perfectly doable if you are prepared to do some of the work.

Look forward to seeing the plans/

Welcome. That seems realistic depending on the complexity of the house being built etc. Once you upload the plans people on here can advise and suggest ways in which you can potentially economise. 

Bungalow is as it stands, 1960 build slight slope on land but original foot print will be slightly larger than new build so hopefully not much soil to take away for a build.

Its on mains gas, water and mains drainage which is a big bonus.

House picture is how we want it to look, either slate or slate composite type roof tiles but would add an oak porch.

Floor plan wise I have looked over new builds on Rightmove and this layout will suit us.

Changes would be kitchen work tops reversed from drawings to other end to allow bi fold doors on end of kitchen.

And maybe Joliet style balcony on master bedroom.

kitchens and bathrooms nothing flash, howdens etc will be fine.

Will need main contractor to do it all as I’m rubbish at this sort of thing!

97F4F4A5-2057-4C1D-A054-68F7C2300EE2.png

1E965836-01E2-4599-BA76-727E67D636CC.jpeg

A9D1FD4E-0171-41D5-87D3-10EE844EC95F.png

8D3962E9-21BD-4326-A03F-DB50623B0097.png

Thanks Dave, plot is just under half acre but in really good location down gravel track etc

We could move to a bigger house but just don’t think we could sacrifice the location.

2mins walk to open forest etc

nation park are really tight on planning

only allowed +30% of original floor plan.

main worry is if budget is not going to be comfortable 

As I say you have an efficient design that should not throw any nasty / expensive surprises and no excess of glass. So affordability comes down to local rates, and how much you are willing to do yourself.

I see it looks like you are proposing a velux window on the landing?  That is like our last house with the landing completely enclosed by rooms.  We installed a Solar Tube to illuminate it and it was very effective indeed, probably better than trying to install a velux window.  Unless of course you want the landing to be vaulted right up to the ridge?

Are you planning a detached garage perhaps as permitted development once the house is built?

No velux planned Dave

will be a middle window at the top for bathroom not shown on house render 

Garage wise double would be fine or triple depending on budget although these days a standard double is probably near 25-30k at a guess?

Oh and yes detached as not allowed attached or else it eats into the 30% allowance as guess they think you will just convert it after planning signed off!

Not even sure if it can be under permitted may need full planning in national park.

Bit of a farce really as have 5/6 bed houses either side of us but good to have some regulation I guess

My only concern with the design is any noise from the utility room when in the lounge etc.

overhead pic of plot and back garden etc

C01144D6-16CB-4716-B98A-F6AD671866B0.jpeg

2A733F3B-7C8B-41E8-A61B-19AAAF353B8E.png

Edited by Dan1983

4 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I'd like a bungalow like that in the West Country, I wouldn't convert it though, just to live in.

Few bungalows like that near me, they usually get 'developed' into 2 semi-detatched 3 bed places.

But then, my end of the West Country is not the idyllic part that most people think.

The layout on the bungalow is not great!

The dorma must have been a massive after though.

as you open the front door it almost touches the banister! 

With the staircase, the hall way is probably down to about 500-600mm wide which is really annoying.

Kitchen used to have a coal and wood fired aga which did heating and hot water so chimney in the kitchen which only allows for about 3m of worktop inc the sink so very restricted work space when cooking

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Few bungalows like that near me, they usually get 'developed' into 2 semi-detatched 3 bed places.

But then, my end of the West Country is not the idyllic part that most people think.

I was thinking more Devon/Somerset. It's a long way to the tip of Cornwall.

2 hours ago, Dan1983 said:

No chance of second property as not allowed to split plots etc 

That's interesting - says who? 

There was me thinking that land ownership was not a material Planning Consideration. Presumably Things Are Different in a National Park on that score.

I would still expect that to change in that position at some stage. Though it may take a generation.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

New forest national park don’t allow splitting of plots etc all really strict, only allowed over the 30% in extreme cases ie if needed for disability etc

i think it’s a good thing in some respect as nothing worse than having a nice garden then the next minute another house is over looking you etc

Edited by Dan1983
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

That's interesting - says who? 

There was me thinking that land ownership was not a material Planning Consideration. Presumably Things Are Different in a National Park on that score.

I would still expect that to change in that position at some stage. Though it may take a generation.

Ferdinand

I suspect that is in what is otherwise a no building zone, and you are allowed to rebuild under a replacement dwelling policy only, and that means you can only replace with the same number of dwellings.

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I suspect that is in what is otherwise a no building zone, and you are allowed to rebuild under a replacement dwelling policy only, and that means you can only replace with the same number of dwellings.

Allegedly, where I am was originally a 5 acre plot with permission in the 50's for 12 (24?) dwellings. It was never acted upon and lapsed. Now AONB etc and the council are very strict. 

Happy enough with my half acre. 

I can't imagine what it would have been like with that many houses here. 

Welcome.  You're quite near us, and we were down within spitting distance of you a couple of days ago, ordering some more trees from Landford.

You're welcome to pop in and have a look at our build if you wish.  We're a bit North and West of you, outside the National Park but inside the Cranborne Chase AONB, plus we have a listed building opposite and are in a conservation area, so we ended up having to jump through almost as many hoops as if we were in the park.

58 minutes ago, Dan1983 said:

Many thanks for the offer!

did your build go to plan?

yes Landford just down the road

Yes, more or less.  It's all detailed in the blog I put together: http://mayfly.eu

PM me if you'd like to visit, we're in Fovant, about ten miles West of Salisbury, just off the A30.