Construction Drawings & Tender Pack

moldy

I was chatting with a QS and he suggested we could send out a tender pack and receive responses for multiple types of construction method (timber frame, block). This makes me wonder what are in the construction drawings. I had assumed they would be specific to the construction method. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, moldy said:

I was chatting with a QS and he suggested we could send out a tender pack and receive responses for multiple types of construction method (timber frame, block). This makes me wonder what are in the construction drawings. I had assumed they would be specific to the construction method. Am I missing something?

There’s nothing to stop you requesting tenders for all types of construction 

But once you have your construction drawing they will be quite specific to what you have settled on 

2 hours ago, moldy said:

What type of drawings do most people go to tender with?

I price all my jobs from a set out drawing 

But you have to have settled on materials to be used 

and of course the building method to be used 

Your drawing will say things like first floor elevation to be rendered Slate roof etc 

It would be useful if you have settled on a type of slate etc for a more accurate render 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Oldsteel said:

I am at this stage. I had assumed we needed construction drawings to get a realistic price from a builder? What is in a 'tender pack'? My architect is recommending this route, at a price of course. 

Plenty of people seem to go through a whole build without construction drawings. Then wonder why they have gone massively over budget, have loads of problems on the build and the detailing is crap.

You will always get a more accurate price with a proper tender pack. It should include more detailed drawings than just for planning, details of any specific on non standard parts of construction and a detailed scheduled of works and specification outlining all finishes etc.