Land Drainage Consent

Andrew

We are in the process of discharging some of our planning conditions with a view to starting work fairly soon. However I've just seen a comment made with regards to our proposed drainage scheme (foul + surface water). Due to the constraints of the site we intend to discharge into a small stream that runs along the norther boundary of our site - both from the packaged water treatment plant and from the surface water. The discharge is via a pair of small Althon headwalls in the bank. 

I've been through all of the Environment Agency information and ensured that what we are proposing to do is exempt from any permit requirements. The stream runs all year round, we're not going to discharge more than 5m3 a day, etc. 

The comment I've just received is asking for "Confirmation of land drainage consent approval from the LLFA for the outfall connections from surface water and package treatment effluent into the watercourse."

I must admit to feeling a little foolish as I though I had nailed the research in this area, but up to this point I hadn't even come across land drainage consent. It seems to be something granted by the Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA). Some local authorities seem to have details of their website (e.g. https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/highways_and_roads/highway-services/flood-risk-management/requirement-for-land-drainage-consent.aspx) but our local authority don't even seem to want to admit that they are the LLFA (Cheshire West + Chester), let alone give any help. 

Has anyone navigated this minefield before, any tips, advice, potential gotchas that would help?

• 3 weeks later...

Was the council a consultee when your planning application went in? Was the need to discharge mentioned in the spplication. If so I would write back to whoever asked for confirmation staring that "The LLFA is Cheshire West & Chester Borough Council who were a consultee during the planning process and raised no objections, comments or conditions".

It they weren't consulted I would send the council details of your plans and PP by recorded delivery asking for approval. In the covering letter tell you comply with EA guidance will assume you have their approval if they raise no objection by some date (say two weeks time?). Suggest  they ask for more time if they need it.