Barge and fascia - can it be fixed after slates

Roz

So can the roof be put in and the barge board be put in later? Our roofers are in before our vertical larch cladding is on, and they're asking about the barge I want and I don't know. 

Also, they think we might have trouble with insect proofing the roof and if we do, are we able to remove the fascia after the slates have been done and fix it back again later? Or will we cause damage? 

I got these roofers on recommendation and whilst I think they're going to do a good job, we're not exactly on the same page on what is / isn't a problem, and how to explain things, so thought I would check here.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

If it can't be fixed after the slates, I'm stuffed @Roz

Glad to hear you're doing the same. I can't decide on the width of the barge board and what to use, so I'd rather not decide on the spot and it might be good to decide once we see the cladding on. 

They're putting the fascia board on as they're doing our guttering too, but he seems to be getting worried about things being an issue and I can't tell if they really are or not! He started going on about how he needed to know certain things because of permanent fixing the fascia, but then I asked if the fascia ever needed replacing would it be simple enough, and he said yes. So he seems to be on 2 separate pages!

@Roz I would suspect the tradesman is trying to save you money: fitting the barge board later might involve more labour.

Its as well to check here, though. I'd wait for other folk to offer an opinion before deciding ... said he cautiously.

Well, I'm hardly expert am I? Chatty, yes, expert, no.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

@Roz I would suspect the tradesman is trying to save you money: fitting the barge board later might involve more labour.

Its as well to check here, though. I'd wait for other folk to offer an opinion before deciding ... said he cautiously.

Well, I'm hardly expert am I? Chatty, yes, expert, no.

I think our main issue is that he is used to working on projects with other tradesmen around doing the rest of the work, but we're about to be on our own. We're doing the cladding ourselves and sort of figuring it out as we go along, so he's asking questions I don't know all the answers to yet, and doesn't seem that comfortable with a 'I'm sure it'll be fine' kind of response. ? he also doesn't seem that comfortable about offering advice on what we'll be able to sort out later. 

.. I'm sure it'll be fine. 

@RozBarge as in gable end ...?

You will need some sort of barge board, what is your final finish..?? I've done this with decent external grade 12mm ply and then overclad with the final finish and this allows you to continue and then go back but they need to consider the depth of the fascia and barge when fitting the backings

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

@RozBarge as in gable end ...?

You will need some sort of barge board, what is your final finish..?? I've done this with decent external grade 12mm ply and then overclad with the final finish and this allows you to continue and then go back but they need to consider the depth of the fascia and barge when fitting the backings

Yes on the gable end. We've got vertical larch cladding going on the walls but I don't know about the actual barge board. He's said he can do the overhang of the slate so it overhangs an extra 25mm or something in order to fit a barge board later. 

what arrangement are you having where the barge meets the fascia? do you have a soffit? photos would help, if hes fitting the fascia he will just have to leave it plenty long to enable it to be trimmed back when you decide where the barge is going

without you telling him exactly what thickness your barge boards are going to be i can understand his frustration, if he doesnt overhang them enough you wont get a drip and it will leak in, and if he overhangs them too much you will have an unsightly overhang, which could cause problems for it catching too much wind??, is it hit an miss cladding or flush? i presume you dont have an overhang on the gable end 

10 hours ago, Hobbiniho said:

what arrangement are you having where the barge meets the fascia? do you have a soffit? photos would help, if hes fitting the fascia he will just have to leave it plenty long to enable it to be trimmed back when you decide where the barge is going

without you telling him exactly what thickness your barge boards are going to be i can understand his frustration, if he doesnt overhang them enough you wont get a drip and it will leak in, and if he overhangs them too much you will have an unsightly overhang, which could cause problems for it catching too much wind??, is it hit an miss cladding or flush? i presume you dont have an overhang on the gable end 

I'm not sure about the barge meeting the fascia yet. No soffit though. I'll try to get some photos later!

Yes he did say he would leave the fascia to be cut off later. And he said he'd leave about 25mm for allowing the barge board so hopefully thats about right. 

I'm not sure what hit and miss cladding is - but it's like a tongue and groove, shadow gap. We don't have a proper overhand no, just whatever he allows for for the roof :)