Electrician Costs

LA3222

As things stand I have had minimal electrical work carried out and am still trying to gauge what is "reasonable" when it comes to quotes.  I have no issue paying a fair price but don't want to be taken for a ride and ripped off.  To that end if anyone is able to give feedback on whether the following quote is reasonable it would be appreciated, I don't want to drift off topic about the actual work being undertaken - just whether the price reflects the work carried out.  Ta.

Supply To Caravan (£578):
1.  10mm 4core + 10mm earth 35m
2.  HAGER 50A 3P MCB
3.  40A RCD in rolec caravan hook up
4.  Upgrade supply into caravan CU to hardwired supply.
5.  Earth rod. 

6.  Connections, labour, certification.

Outbuilding rewire (Labour & Materials £180):
1.  20A radial supply into lean to
2.  2 x metal clad socket
3.  1 x Light and switch
Labour and materials

Additional sockets in caravan (£70)
1.  2 x Single Sockets

If the price seems way out, what ballpark figure should I be looking at?

TIA

Just now, nod said:

[...]

How much does Spons say 

The book (and the online version) don't go into all that much detail Gary.

Comparative fittings/rates per point

• Consumer control unit; 63–100 Amp 230 volt; switched and insulated; RCDB protection. Gross internal floor area (unless described other wise) nr 300.00 to 380.00
  • Fittings; excluding lamps or light fittings lighting point; PVC cables nr 44.00 to 55.00
  • lighting point; PVC cables in screwed conduits nr 51.00 to 64.00
  • lighting point; MICC cables nr 67.00 to 85.00
  • Switch socket outlet; PVC cables single nr 6.20 to 7.80 double nr 72.00 to 91.00
  • Switch socket outlet; PVC cables in screwed conduit single nr 83.00 to 105.00 double nr 95.00 to 120.00 Switch socket outlet; MICC cables single nr 79.00 to 100.00 double nr 92.00 to 115.00

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If it includes all materials and VAT then that’s a good price. Slightly bemused by the 4 core and earth to the static though - is he running 3 phase ..??

Yes it is 3 phase.  The cable to my van will be the garage supply eventually, hence the 4 core cable now rather than later.

So, the general sense I get from all the responses is that the quote is reasonable which helps massively as I wasn't sure.

Thanks all.

I'm paying £30/hr in Dorset.  The entire 1st fix for my 240sqm 3 bed house has been £1200 x vat for labour so far...there's another half day to go.

I did pay a further £350 all-in much earlier once the meter had gone into a cupboard on a boundary wall, to get temporary external sockets running.

My 1st fix materials have been circa £800.

Edited by mvincentd

2 hours ago, mvincentd said:

I'm paying £30/hr in Dorset.  The entire 1st fix for my 240sqm 3 bed house has been £1200 x vat for labour so far...there's another half day to go.

I did pay a further £350 all-in much earlier once the meter had gone into a cupboard on a boundary wall, to get temporary external sockets running.

My 1st fix materials have been circa £800.

This is what makes me think £800 for my job is a lot.  It's only a few sockets and other bits yet your entire first fix isn't that much more (minus materials).  But then everyone has said it's a fair price so as i am clueless I will go with the consensus!

We paid £1,400 (no VAT, labour only) for first and second fix for a 130m² house, with me supplying all materials and doing a fair bit of the labouring work.  The breakdown was £700 for first fix labour, £700 for second fix labour.  This was at 2014 prices, though, and I know that the chap has since put his rates up by about £20/day.  The time taken was roughly 4 1/2 days for first fix and the same again for second fix, inspect and test.

Smaller jobs are always disproportionately more expensive, as there is a fixed overhead for travel etc that probably makes larger jobs seem cheaper, in terms of cost versus number of switches/outlets..

Our spark had a spreadsheet of costs that covered first & second fix combined - broken out in terms of spotlights, downlights, switches (single, double etc..) sockets (single, double) data points etc, etc. Then single items for one offs such as heating controls, distribution etc.

All based on standard materials (e.g. MK) and then adds a premium if you want to upgrade to chrome, satin etc...

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

This is what makes me think £800 for my job is a lot.  It's only a few sockets and other bits yet your entire first fix isn't that much more (minus materials).  But then everyone has said it's a fair price so as i am clueless I will go with the consensus!

There is near £200 of materials in the top quote alone - cable is £3.80-£4/m for that armoured 10mm.

You have to remember that a job of a couple of hours breaks a day, so unless he's got 2 small jobs in close proximity then it may be costing him half a day.

13 hours ago, LA3222 said:

As things stand I have had minimal electrical work carried out and am still trying to gauge what is "reasonable" when it comes to quotes.  I have no issue paying a fair price but don't want to be taken for a ride and ripped off.  To that end if anyone is able to give feedback on whether the following quote is reasonable it would be appreciated, I don't want to drift off topic about the actual work being undertaken - just whether the price reflects the work carried out.  Ta.

Supply To Caravan (£578):
1.  10mm 4core + 10mm earth 35m
2.  HAGER 50A 3P MCB
3.  40A RCD in rolec caravan hook up
4.  Upgrade supply into caravan CU to hardwired supply.
5.  Earth rod. 

6.  Connections, labour, certification.

Outbuilding rewire (Labour & Materials £180):
1.  20A radial supply into lean to
2.  2 x metal clad socket
3.  1 x Light and switch
Labour and materials

Additional sockets in caravan (£70)
1.  2 x Single Sockets

If the price seems way out, what ballpark figure should I be looking at?

TIA

That looks about reasonable, not cheap, but not unfair I don't think - depends how well he does the job right enough, everything properly clipped and terminated etc. that is what can consume time and drive costs up when it costs you £20 just to terminate some SWA properly.  The outbuilding and sockets in the caravan seem fine. 

Most of the cost for the supply to the caravan is going to be the SWA itself at about £5.50 per meter - £192.50.  So then say another £100 for the other bits and clips and glands and what not. Call it £300.00 in materials then he is on £278.00 for his work, I assume there is a fair bit of effort in the 35m run? Then he is a couple of hours terminating the cables, installing the board, testing etc.

I would think about doing the SWA run myself if that would save money - but you must agree it with him or he may be a pain about it and refuse to sign off a cable run he has not done. Is it in a trench? 

Also, is the caravan supply for temporary use while you build or is the caravan a permanent install now?

Edited by Carrerahill

I paid £160 including materials for a 20m long 6 mm2 3-core mains hook up to my static including fitting of a 2 circuit consumer unit in a tight cavity wall meter box currently on stilts. I laid the cable.

Edit: Forgot to mention the electrician was working on a larger job at the plot next door.

The shed electrical hookup was much cheaper, just materials because I did the electrical work including a service trench from static to shed, light, double socket and fused spur. The largest cost was 2.5 mm2 armoured cable, about £45 though I had 10m left over for another function.

Edited by epsilonGreedy