Zinc roof cost (not going timber clad)

gc100

Hi,

we had specified a timber rainscreen roof with a EPDM membrane , however I'm concerned about how it will weather and I'm not really a fan of the silver/b;ack/green that timber can go. So I'm seriously now considering changing the design and going back to planning with a material change to a zinc roof.

We really want hidden gutters and minimal flashing over the edges. The cost of zinc m2  doesn't seem to bad at the moment, however the installation etc is another matter. For those who have done it what did it work out per m2 in the end??

Many thanks

2 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Not zinc but  we where quoted approx £140m2 for 280m2 in standing seam stainless . Excluding rwg.  Went down the DIY route instead. 

Did you go down this route due to cost? We have about 240m2 to do. I don't have the time to DiY

10 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Not zinc but  we where quoted approx £140m2 for 280m2 in standing seam stainless . Excluding rwg.  Went down the DIY route instead. 

Any pictures for how that worked out (and costs for supply)?

Bit of cost and we want to do as much as the build ourselves. 

No pictures yet apart from the gulley we are hoping to start in next few weeks, the rolls have been lying in the garage for 12 months. Should work out somewhere between £35 and £40m2. We have a friend with a 3 meter computer folder so thinking about doing the rwg aswell.

• 1 month later...
On 29/05/2019 at 21:41, Alexphd1 said:

Bit of cost and we want to do as much as the build ourselves. 

No pictures yet apart from the gulley we are hoping to start in next few weeks, the rolls have been lying in the garage for 12 months. Should work out somewhere between £35 and £40m2. We have a friend with a 3 meter computer folder so thinking about doing the rwg aswell.

How did you get on?

• 3 months later...

@Alexphd1 can you explain your reasoning for putting your roofing felt on in vertical strips rather than doing the whole roof first and laying it in horizontal formation starting at the bottom so that your overlaps will prevent water ingress should there be a leak. I am sure you are following proper guidelines but I have never seen it done like this.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

@Alexphd1 can you explain your reasoning for putting your roofing felt on in vertical strips rather than doing the whole roof first and laying it in horizontal formation starting at the bottom so that your overlaps will prevent water ingress should there be a leak. I am sure you are following proper guidelines but I have never seen it done like this.  Thanks.

Yeah I noticed that and thought “eek!” . But as I know there could be method to the madness 

The company building lots of high spec houses down the road from me are putting their membrane on vertically, I did consider it but opted to make life utterly miserable and installed it horizontal which was a bloody pain. 

How do you like all those clips @Alexphd1 I have 3500 to put on ? tiny little screws and big fat fingers. Lol 

Not my favorite job? we actually used stainless nails. We have a few clips left (normal and sliding) so if you need a few to finish of give me a shout (not looking to offload as will use them on next build but may just help you out finishing of job)

20191018_114747.jpg

• Like 1