Wrench vs pliers

newhome

What’s the difference (in purpose) between the one on the left (adjustable wrench) and the one on the right (waterpump pliers)? I need something I can grab something with to turn it. 

D96A6D36-4746-4C9A-A3D5-40686F7CA06A.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The wrench will  only work on a hex nut of bolt.  The pliers will grip most things. What do you need to grip?

Thanks! There’s a knob that turns in a wall hung cistern to turn the water off and I can’t grab it enough to turn it off with my fingers. 

14 minutes ago, newhome said:

So why are they called waterpump pliers ... ?

They are designed around the slip joint which means they can grip a number of different size nuts with the same handle spacing and this is needed when removing the nuts on circulation pumps. 

Colloquially known as "5 holes" due to the 5 adjustment positions. Try and drop the h to sound like you know what you're talking about. For example:

"Whacked a bit of tape round it & managed to get a couple o' turns with the 5 'oles and that sorted it!

Builders crack showing is optional.

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, newhome said:

What’s the difference (in purpose) between the one on the left (adjustable wrench) and the one on the right (waterpump pliers)? I need something I can grab something with to turn it. 

D96A6D36-4746-4C9A-A3D5-40686F7CA06A.jpeg

From the left:

"Adjustable"

"Pliers:

"Long nose"

"Moles" (Mole grips being a particular brand of locking pliers like hoover means vacuum cleaner).

"5 'oles"

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

I have one of each and use which ever one my hand lands on first for any given job :)

A man after my own heart! I generally try to use the multi talented screwdriver for many jobs where a flat one doubles up as a scraper, a chisel, a paint lid remover, weed digger upper et al, and the pointy ones do hole punching amongst other things! ? 

Just now, newhome said:

A man after my own heart! I generally try to use the multi talented screwdriver for many jobs where a flat one doubles up as a scraper, a chisel, a paint lid remover, weed digger upper et al, and the pointy ones do hole punching amongst other things! ? 

AAAHHHHHGGGGGG, tool abuse ?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

From the left:

"Adjustable"

"Pliers:

"Long nose"

"Moles" (Mole grips being a particular brand of locking pliers like hoover means vacuum cleaner).

"5 'oles"

What do they all do though? Some of those things talk about cutting edges, yet other pliers there don’t seem to cut anything? 

That’s the local Asda’s range of tools btw! Probably crap but they are shiny ?. I think I have most of those tools already somewhere or another but they are not shiny as well used. I can’t get to grips ? with most things like that! 

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

What do they all do though? Some of those things talk about cutting edges, yet other pliers there don’t seem to cut anything? 

That’s the local Asda’s range of tools btw! Probably crap but they are shiny ?. I think I have most of those tools already somewhere or another but they are not shiny as well used. I can’t get to grips ? with most things like that! 

1 turns nuts or bolts of varying sizes. 

2 grabs or squeezes things. Can cut cable or wire if needed

3 grabs or squeezes smaller things in tight spaces. 

4 grabs things tight and locks on so you don't need to constantly squeeze

5 grabs and squeezes a bigger range of sizes. Usually used when you need to turn or hold pipe or conduit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Don't forget to always leave the tool at the scene of the job and never return it to any logical central storage.

Helps you hit you 10,000k daily steps target as you wander around trying to remember where you last used it, discovering all you other abandoned tools as you go (but don't be tempted to collect them up as you now know where they are...).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

but don't be tempted to collect them up as you now know where they are...

I have a series of black buckets around a job and tools get put in those... Newtons 9th law of soddery says that the tool required is in the last bucket irrespective of order checked.....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Don't forget to always leave the tool at the scene of the job and never return it to any logical central storage.

That’s generally the best approach I feel. Or do what I do and order a new one as you can’t find  something whereupon it turns up almost as soon as the new one arrives! ?

Leaving the drill outside in the pi55ing rain for 3 days probably wasn’t the best plan though. It’s now in the boiler room hopefully drying out! 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I have a series of black buckets around a job and tools get put in those... Newtons 9th law of soddery says that the tool required is in the last bucket irrespective of order checked.....

That’s too organised for me. Why have a collection of black buckets when there are 100s of more obscure hiding places to choose from! ?

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

"You always find something in the last place you look for it".