House redesign to accommodate old people...

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Ha, no chance (sorry) I am burnt out having spent the last 3 years building mine. I am looking forward to gardening, pottering with my vintage tractor and classic car. My wife (still working) reckons I will be bored when the build is finished, no chance!!!

note, this forum has been a mine of brilliant information , I have learnt so much invaluable knowledge despite being a retired builder. Never be worried about asking a “stupid question”, stupid is not asking!

Thanks @joe90 I feel a steep learning curve coming on and already feel like I am turning into The Devil by having to be heavy handed with the QS to try get some results and we've not even starting doing anything really yet.  I guess my reasons for having to renovate/extend are different from most other people and maybe the professionals don't grasp that. - though it's all I seem to say at the moment. 

Sorry to hear about your burn out, I bet it was all worth it in the end.  We do have a small kubota and a couple of fields you could play in if you ever were up this way ? ?

@Powerjen you need to get it right from day one, it’s so much more costly to change/put it right afterwards. With our build I went through the design in fine detail with my wife and said “it will not be changed during or after the build.” Sounds harsh but it paid off. I will follow your build process with interest.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Powerjen said:

I am turning into The Devil by having to be heavy handed with the QS to try get some results and we've not even starting doing anything really yet

You're paying his bill..!!!! He's being lazy, get this right and you'll be in a better place at the outset

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@Powerjen you need to get it right from day one, it’s so much more costly to change/put it right afterwards. With our build I went through the design in fine detail with my wife and said “it will not be changed during or after the build.” Sounds harsh but it paid off. I will follow your build process with interest.

I completely agree, I know things won't be how we would want them if it was just us here so we are trying to do some future proofing at the same time to cover most eventualities. It's not easy though, as you know! 

@Powerjen

Putting this here because this is where your plans are.  I hope you are feeling resilient, having had more attention here than the pandas get at Edinburgh Zoo.

Anyhoo. We have talked about QSs and costs, but not about design and PM. I think the point made by @the_r_sole ,that the movement around the house and linking of spaces and light was important, has been lost a little. So, what to do?

I quite like the division into 2 halves, although it is a bit too rabbit-warreny for me - but that is the house. I think your big space at the South End should be spectacular if done well.

Here is your sketch:

proposed sketches.jpg

The only structural change I would make *now* would be to remove the wall between the kitchen and living in your parents new flat, leaving the pillars of brick necessary each end to support an RSJ. And if they want to keep them separate for smells etc I would insert a significant amount of glass in that wall (= floor to ceiling at least half). 

The reason is that that will give a double aspect living space. The issue with 2 rooms is that one is East and the other is West facing, and usually we want Kitchen to get breakfast light, and living to get afternoon-evening, and these are the wrong way round. So you want light and interest from somewhere throughout the day. And - obviously - it needs to be quick for your timescale. So, thus:

structural-change.thumb.jpg.ded5f493d5b5271bd899ede9b1feec6f.jpg

You'll need building regs for that. Though it should be doable on a Building Notice (though I am not sure if such exist in Scotland).

I might consider is enlarging a window or two by taking the sill lower, or exceptionally enlrage one if it really needs it. That saves any need to bugger about with lintels.

The other thing imo you need is to make the project smaller to give it a pork-chop's chance in veganland of being done by the end of the year. Separately comment on that. Personally I would consider targetting just what you need to move in, and ignore the upstairs and possible all the outbuildings for now.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Ferdinand, Edinburgh Zoo calling...

Thank you for taking the time to reply and think about the design. We have finally got QS costs back now so we have a better idea of costs for each of the numbered items on the plan. It has made us rethink most of it! Your suggestion is a good one. We are thinking of not developing the old workshop marked as the Dining Room (5) and instead knocking down our old conservatory and build out to flatten the side elevation off a 'our end'. This could be a good sized space we could all share (when we are all behaving) and should make the most of the side and back aspect as we are not overlooked at the side. As the workshop cost was 21k I think we would rather spend that money on a space will we always use as opposed to spending money on an area we may well rent out once no longer needed by my parents... everything is now once again going round in my head and it is really good to get opinions from people without a vested interest!! Thanks :)

Edited by Powerjen
to tag Ferdinand

So, I have been having a major rethink as I mentioned in my last post.  I have been playing around with a big open kitchen diner which we can all share and we will still benefit from the investment when we don't have our parents here anymore and will, perhaps, be holiday letting their side of the house.  I am now cross eyed.  The doors at the south elevation into the kitchen/diner/living area will be our main entrance, we get mucky so I have been trying to look at how we can have a bit where we can get boots off etc without walking in a nice sitting area. My husband won't go in and out of the front door even though it seems to be the place for a boiler/utility/coat room. I have thought about taking the existing bathroom and turning the window into a door and go into the house there and have a shower/toilet and coat hooks but I don't think there is enough wall height outside to do it, or if its worthwhile. I could move the patio doors next to the bathroom and change the bathroom door so it opens from the kitchen/diner but that probably isn't great if you're sat chilling in the kitchen/diner and people are going in and out of the bathroom? I have been making pretend furniture and need to try to figure out where a wood burner and a tv, but it has potential.  Any genius ideas/critiques gratefully received.

Thank you.

IMG_20190610_151315.jpg