Window install cost

pauldoc

2 hours ago, Mikey_1980 said:

@Alex C what is the damage like that they have been unable to repair I am waiting for them to come out to us.

Damage to fittings and finish is definitely the most irritating part of the build process - gets worse when the build progresses and you get more 'nice' things installed.

I've had MagicMan come to fix a few chips in a composite stone bath (now invisible) and just last week to fix the cracked sink (almost invisible, will come back for a final polish when it's back on the wall by the window). Also fixed a chip to an oak veneered door and a scratch to our faux wood alu front door. Can't fault them but guess there are limits to their capability.

We used our window supplier's recommended installer who is an independent local guy with 30 odd years experience, he had pretty bottomless knowledge on fitting and steered us on quite a few related issues. Also helped me out greatly when the render team left some deep scratches to the alu finish on some windows and the roofer spilled a blob of GRP topcoat on a door (which they both agreed to fix). He rustled up a sprayer who works on high end car repair and he pulled off another near perfect repair (using vendor supplied paint).

Have a few chips to our render that we hope to get repaired when they come to do the garage and a few mucky patches that I hope will scrub up..

1 hour ago, TerryE said:

@jack,  I just don't know how anyone can do a build whilst holding down a job at the same time.  We picked up most things because we are working one site most days for 10+ hours when the builders are here.  Still missed a couple to my great annoyance, :( but my internal cills are OK.  The only prob with the external ones is that we wanted DPC one stone course below and both my builder and stone mason didn't think it necessary so "forgot":  "the important one is the DPC above the lintel"

Working from home and living on site definitely helps :)  - the only time things have gone a bit sideways have happened when i've been away.  I'll never forget a text from a ground worker just as I was going to bed in Tokyo asking if I had the emergency number for SSE as he had cut through the supply cable....

I went part time - 3 days a week - so I was around for some of the time.  I arranged my days as best I could to be here for important stuff, such as when new people were starting, big things were being delivered, or I suspected decisions might need to be made.  Still not enough.  

I've said many times that I'd never do this again while I had to hold down a job.

Today was day 4 of our planned 4 day install. Even with extra installers onsite for days 3 and 4 we're not quite finished. One more window to do tomorrow, a Solarlux bi-fold.

The Internorm windows and doors are all in. I reserve the right to adjust my opinion once the dust settles, but at this point I can't praise the ecoHaus installers highly enough, who have gone "above and beyond" to do a top quality job.

Fit and finish is near perfect. Mechanisms are adjusted such that all opening sashes have the same precise feel and weight. Nothing rubs or sticks. Gaps are parallel, adjacent units flush. The air tightness detailing has been done better than if I had done it myself.

We have some (mostly) minor areas of damage and the magicman will need to be booked in.

With regards to the Internorm product itself, we have the Studio HF310, (except in the utility where we have the UPVC version) and I think it's absolutely superb. Making windows by the million obviously allows them to highly develop their product and their manufacturing processes. I personally feel the window and door package as it is now installed was exceptional value.

My fingers are crossed for the bi-fold install tomorrow!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We opted to go with Internorm and Redfen Associates in Norfolk, the whole experience was horrendous, we were completely mis-sold and our install costs went from £3000 in the outset to over £11000.  On the back of a host of broken promises from Internorm and Redfen this was a huge blow to my family and I.  Tread very carefully it's clear Internorm do not vet their sales partners, hopefully other manufacturers are more focused on quality and who is actually representing their brand.  My story is a long and very painful one but feel free to message me I may be well placed to help you avoid the pitfalls having been wrapped up with a cowboy supplier.

On 2016-9-8 at 22:31, jack said:

I went part time - 3 days a week - so I was around for some of the time.  I arranged my days as best I could to be here for important stuff, such as when new people were starting, big things were being delivered, or I suspected decisions might need to be made.  Still not enough.  

I've said many times that I'd never do this again while I had to hold down a job.

I ran my own business and have two young kids under 10 it's been okay as my builder is brilliant but the window installers caused so much stress for us, trying to juggle their incompetence alongside the business was a nightmare.

4 man team ranging from £150 per man per day to £250 per man per day. Then you have travel costs, equipment costs, accommodation costs to also consider.

At £30k supply cost, I would be expecting it to be in the £5K/£6K region.

On 9/8/2016 at 23:34, IanR said:

Today was day 4 of our planned 4 day install. Even with extra installers onsite for days 3 and 4 we're not quite finished. One more window to do tomorrow, a Solarlux bi-fold.

The Internorm windows and doors are all in. I reserve the right to adjust my opinion once the dust settles, but at this point I can't praise the ecoHaus installers highly enough, who have gone "above and beyond" to do a top quality job.

Fit and finish is near perfect. Mechanisms are adjusted such that all opening sashes have the same precise feel and weight. Nothing rubs or sticks. Gaps are parallel, adjacent units flush. The air tightness detailing has been done better than if I had done it myself.

We have some (mostly) minor areas of damage and the magicman will need to be booked in.

With regards to the Internorm product itself, we have the Studio HF310, (except in the utility where we have the UPVC version) and I think it's absolutely superb. Making windows by the million obviously allows them to highly develop their product and their manufacturing processes. I personally feel the window and door package as it is now installed was exceptional value.

My fingers are crossed for the bi-fold install tomorrow!

You won't be unhappy with the Solarlux bifold, I assure you of that ?

Edit: I really should look at the post date before post ?

Edited by craig

• 4 weeks later...

What worked for us was to get Velfac to supply an installation engineer to do the first day with our building team to get them skilled up in the system. Well worth the 400 quid it cost. More than I can say for the inordinately expensive compriband tape that we used 800quids worth of! 

• Like 1