Grade 2 listed barn

Bernadette

Good evening,

Hoping that someone can offer some advice. We have just been granted planning permission (after 17 months) to convert a grade 2 listed barn which has collapsed into a 4 bedroom home. We have had numerous redesigns before getting the permission granted - our architect is lovely but it has cost so much so far. Today we have been advised it will now cost £11,000 to obtain building regs, along with structural engineer costs and archeological studies.

Is there a cheaper way to obtain building regs? I know we will need the structural engineer as no-one has accessed the internal barn due to the collapse and level 2 archeology report a condition so happy to proceed with them.

Would appreciate any help,

Bernadette 

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your time, you might be able to do a lot yourself. Not Structural engineering but Building regs are manageable. Look at @JSHarris
blog for some inspiration. But generally speaking you should be able to get a Structural Engineer for somewhere around 2k£. I did mine online and found it excellent even many people are against that and rather have somebody local. With regards to a renovation /barn conversion it might be beneficial to have someone looking at it rather than doing pure desktop calculations. But even than, shop around. Quotes vary massively (mine where between 1250£ - 7650£, all local, all for SE calcs.). BUILDING REGS. wise I found the local Building regs officer very helpful and would go with them, they will answer all the questions and when you hand in your "homemade" plans, will advise of what extras/changes they would need. Have a look on templates and just copy+paste. Works for me.

My suggestion would  be to seek a recommendation or three from the most experienced person at your established old style local estate agent.

As a second string you could try the Historic Houses Association.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand