A bit of hand holding please

Hi all I have decided to fit my own bathroom due to my bathroom fitter letting me down on dates and just wanted to check in on build hub to make sure I’m going about things in the right manner. In the past I have completed quite a few DIY jobs around the house but nothing as complex as the bathroom so am treading cautiously.

I am currently ripping out the old bathroom and have just booked a plasterer to come in in about 10 days time so hopefully I should have finished all the plumbing and laid the new floor by then.

I am placing noggins at 250mm intervals in between the joists to give good support for the 18 mm plywood floor I will be lying down and hopefully this will support the tile floor and the stone resin tray properly.

I have purchased some KA bond SBR to seal all sides of the plywood which will then be glued and screwed to the joists, I will also leave a couple of millimeters gap in between any joins in the plywood.

After the floor, pipework and plastering is complete I plan on fitting a stone resin shower tray, The instructions for the shower tray inform me to use a acetic silicone to lay the stone resin tray onto and also makes a point of not to lay the stone resin tray on a concrete/cement base.

IMG_2023.thumb.jpg.f912b464b5532d3666866fb5631b8146.jpg

I have not purchased any acetic silicone and so was looking for recommendations on what brand to buy?

I have also just purchased an Aquaseal wet room system kit so hopefully that will do a good job with the tanking, The walls of the shower area is mostly solid block work but has a small plasterboard cavity at one end where the shower pipework will run.

I have also been studying the tanking thread here on buildhub and plan on sealing around the edges of the stone resin tray with silkaflex as demonstrated brilliantly by Nickfromwales.

This is as far as I have got with my planning at present but any advice from you guys will be much appreciated.

Pics of what is being pulled out:

20180912_143821.thumb.jpg.5018fbe244aee197fec6656ab3e86c91.jpg20180912_143858.thumb.jpg.7ec5262ef2582dfe3239ae7ec9b1d360.jpg20180912_143921.thumb.jpg.b7b2ad651c633e590f01d5d12820e95f.jpg

Making a start:

IMG_1985.thumb.jpg.6c122b52a71bc6a7bc0f1c65a13224d8.jpgIMG_1992.thumb.jpg.0d8bd43f899e1e6694e80f3226e1de29.jpgIMG_2022.thumb.jpg.8c0574c31441745dbf6e2cbec8b02157.jpg

20180912_143947.jpg

Edited by 8ball
spelling

How to put this? Ermmmmm, mind if I hold on too? 

It's really difficult to get some trades to come and work, unless you're in their networks.... so here are we with exactly the same problem. Slightly different starting point but essentially the same problem.  

I've forgotten how many times I have looked at Clive's thread ( @Onoff ) about his ablutions. Let's try and get ours done before he finishes his, eh?

• Thanks 1

To answer OP question "I have not purchased any acetic silicone and so was looking for recommendations on what brand to buy?"

I've done a bathroom (our current house) and the mother-in-law's cloakroom (finished a couple of weeks ago). I used a mixture of B&Q's own brand and some other branded stuff that I had left over. There is not really much difference between them as long as you think that "white is white is white" ?

Good Luck with the fit out

Edited by BotusBuild
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

There is not really much difference between them as long as you think that "white is white is white"

There is a huge difference in quality !! Unless the B&Q stuff has had a marked increase over the past 12 months, its had real issues such as offset and strange sized flush and soilpipes, cisterns with bowed backs, shower trays that slope uphill, and a host of other problems that can cause fitting problems....!

I know a couple of fitters who will now not fit B&Q or Wickes sanitaryware due to quality issues.

14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

There is a huge difference in quality !! Unless the B&Q stuff has had a marked increase over the past 12 months, its had real issues such as offset and strange sized flush and soilpipes, cisterns with bowed backs, shower trays that slope uphill, and a host of other problems that can cause fitting problems....!

I know a couple of fitters who will now not fit B&Q or Wickes sanitaryware due to quality issues.

Peter - I was talking about the silicone, not the sanitary ware, answering the OP question (I should have quoted) ?

Edited by BotusBuild
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, I too have had issues with all sorts of products from B&Q , Wickes, Travis Perkins and Screwfix  when fitting the kitchen and this time I purchased all the gear from different suppliers on a hope that it will be of better quality and install a bit better.

Shower Tray: RAK Feelings 1600x 900mm

Geberit  Slimline Waste

Grohe Shower

Grohe Taps

Bristan Waste

Phoenix Basin and WC'S

Luceco lighting

General plumbing JG speedfit

My only down fall will be my lack of experience of fitting a bathroom as never even thought about it before and was a last minute decision, Its the only bathroom in the house so once the WC and shower comes out the pressure is on?. Porta potty from Amazon for £23 should do the trick?

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Old suite looked alright to me...

xD

The suite is about 25 years old except for the bath that the last owners installed to sell the house. Never ever use a bath so that's been a waste of space for the last 4 years but the monster spiders think its great, the shower tomb is a death trap ? and I smash my elbows on it when showering as its so small. It used to have massage jets but last time I tried to operate them the garden ended up getting more water than me.? The lighting gives off more heat than my oven......blah blah blah thus the need for a new bathroom?