Plaster is being rationed in West Lancashire......

An extension I am wiring has ground to a halt as the owner (who is doing most of the work himself inside) says he cannot get any plasterboard.

Somebody will be along shortly to blame the B word.

Just my opinion of course, but why @AnonymousBosch are you shopping at b+q for plaster, must be a better price at bm and use by date will be longer as they have a bigger turnover of product, it also builds a good relationship with bm 

i have 2 bm that I have been using for the last year and they all call me by my first name as I walk in. 

57 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Well Russ, funny you should ask. I'm dabbling with the idea of doing some (repeat some) of my own plastering. Softly softly catchee monkey.... ?

Self builder? Learn how to skim in front of an avalanche ( AnonymousBosch May 2019)

When we were getting plastering done last year the plasterer mentioned a few times that it can be hard to get and often runs out. Also said something about a core ingredient running out meaning they need to change the composition. 

14 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Cheeky boy.... ?

Small victories! 

On a serious note I'd urge you to have a go a plastering. It's oddly gratifying though my attempts leave much to be desired. Just done this bathroom cupboard and a smidge of Easy Fill was used after a going over with the Mirka sander. Basically I can get it on but it's the finishing off I fall down on. Big areas are easier too I think.

I'd say good lighting is a big must. I plastered the cupboard in less that ideal lighting (aside from the space constrictions). When I went back with better lighting it showed. Good eyesight helps too!

Wish I had a mentor I could work with to show me how. Did consider a course once. Surprisingly physically demanding too.

Edited by Onoff

my best mate --who i only meet about 10 years ago  ,who is now 74 !!! started when he was 14 

still plasters  to keep fit,I tried it a few times under his expert eye --  and got shouted at a lot 

It became very apparent that the way you do it is the key to not only doing it well but protecting the body ,cos yes it is very hard on the body if your technique is not correct .

so  yes If you intending on doing a lot of plastering getting instruction from a master would be well worth it ,if you can find one 

If you got bad back and knees + joints--like me then ,good luck 

I've read elsewhere that ref the shortage, quality is sometimes going down with board edges being malformed. Allegedly British Gypsum are not taking/returning cells on the supply issues. The official line is there's no shortage per se just high demand for the product.

or maybe price is so tight that its not viable to make more production facilities?.

last time i saw this the excuse was that a kiln was down for a refit --and it cost too much for the return  on costs to refurbish it 

which is far more probable.

If there was profit to be made --then a new plant would be built 

we are still in a depressed world economy and investments by  big companies are tight 

Edited by scottishjohn

8 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

we are still in a depressed world economy and investments by  big companies are tight 

Which is odd as the world is awash with investment capital.

ThisIsMoney had a bit about British Gypsum/BPB shortage.  Never bothered to read it.

On 26/05/2019 at 16:09, AnonymousBosch said:

Well Russ, funny you should ask. I'm dabbling with the idea of doing some (repeat some) of my own plastering. Softly softly catchee monkey.... ?

AnonymousBosch have you considered using Airless Plaster?