Insulation for internal stud walls and above ceilings??

IanR

13 hours ago, Gav_P said:

The key for making it work is to make sure you seal round the edge gaps... noise can sneak through the smallest of holes, and will annoy the s**t out of you if you can still hear things after all the effort and expense of the rockwool.

This, with sound the devil is in the details!! Think of it like water, where there is a weakness (not just gaps) it will get through.

Edited by mike m

2 hours ago, mike m said:

This, with sound the devil is in the details!! Think of it like water, where there is a weakness (not just gaps) it will get through.

Exactly... obvious things like pipe and cable openings, but less obvious are things like the small gap between floor board and the wall. This normally gets hidden by skirting boards but is actually quite a big acoustic path. 

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

Mate has just fitted these in his alcoves either side of his chimney breast:

IMG-20181028-WA0006.thumb.jpg.55ce830273571c9f8518f17e826ae643.jpg

IMG-20181028-WA0009.thumb.jpg.54ae1d714ff6acc54ec7f4a9387519c2.jpg

https://www.soundproofingstore.co.uk/store/SoundBoard-4-1-2m2-30mm-p52219211

If that’s all he’s going to do I would think it wasn’t worth the expense. What about the rest of the walls. Those floor boards will let so much sound through (unless he is using an acoustic underlay), and I assume he hasn’t put anything under them between the joist and part wall? And the ceiling doesn’t look like it’s been touched. 

Don’t get me wrong, the acoustic boards are good though!.. especially If they have been installed using an acoustic sealant (like green glue).

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, CC45 said:

I used 50mm in a 90mm stud - RW45.  Thats what Rockwool said.  When I suggested filling the 90mm gap they said not to do that.  Just increase density / depth of plaster board.

Why not 75mm in a 89mm stud? As long as the mineral wool isn't compressed it should be fine.

I just took their advice, like you I asked about putting more in there but was told more cost effective to use heavier PB.  I think they want a decent gap either side of the fill, 20mm aint a lot & I suspect 75mm would effectively end up touching one side or the other.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I offer my apologies in advance for my ignorance, but if wanting to reduce sound transfer on our party wall, and between floors, am i better off to get a mix material board like the SoundBoard4, or a couple of layers of SoundBloc? The later seems more cost effective, and both have similar thickness of wall requirement. 

Am I best to combine these approaches with resilient bars to isolate all type of noise transfer?