How is this done?

Another solution would be to build your deck of a base of some concrete blocks. You will only need to scrape the top soil of to get it level drop the block in then your post sits on top. No real digging and no concrete. 

I used to do decking when I was younger at a caravan park so I wasn't allowed to sink the posts into the ground so built them off blocks. 

If the block sinks any you get your car jack out of the car and lift that section take out the block, pack it up then replace block and lower it back down. It's a 2 min job to do. 

MMm.. food for thought Declan & the idea of a horrendoes zoothorn concrete face twds my sod n'bors is one ive mused on, alot. Neat idea for carjack use, I'll bear that in mind.

I'm swaying between the sleepers/retaining wall idea.. & the walkway idea with square 5-6" posts, put into dug holes then concrete poured in.

@Onoff I'd be inclined to dig hole/ shove sleeper in, & also pour in concrete around too.. unless that's a stupid additional idea? the ground as I said is pretty loose n squidgy.If put this barrier on the curve/ slope, filling it with earth will mean the higher up the barrier the load will press most on the top tiers- I don't want the barrier to tip over: especially so with a smaller walkway further down slope: sleeper barrier will be approx shoulder height here

Any thoughts on this anyone? any romans out there?