EPS Raft Passive Slab Hesitation

davidc

7 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Ahh will be good to hear how you go,.I'll try and keep an eye our for your progress. I'm sure that all sod and do e doing SIPS and passive craft can't be that much more expensive when you add in labour for doing it the other ways. Are you doing it all yourself @LA3222 ? Do you have any images of the

Trying to do as much of the founds myself as possible.  The design was done by Tanners, the insulation is from Kore.

Due to the ground I have, it needs digging out by 800mil before putting 500 of stone in.  50mm of grit sand to go on that before I can lay out the insulation.

The insulation appears to be as simple as a jig saw puzzle - I have a plan with the edges marked out, just follow the foundation design when filling the middle in.

The steel is fairly simple, just two layers of mesh, no complicated cages or such in the thickenings.

I hope to get all that done and the UFH pipe installed before getting a contractor in to do the concreting.

Not alot to show yet other than the big hole!

IMG-20200123-WA0005.jpg

20200127_153245.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Trying to do as much of the founds myself as possible.  The design was done by Tanners, the insulation is from Kore.

Due to the ground I have, it needs digging out by 800mil before putting 500 of stone in.  50mm of grit sand to go on that before I can lay out the insulation.

The insulation appears to be as simple as a jig saw puzzle - I have a plan with the edges marked out, just follow the foundation design when filling the middle in.

The steel is fairly simple, just two layers of mesh, no complicated cages or such in the thickenings.

I hope to get all that done and the UFH pipe installed before getting a contractor in to do the concreting.

Not alot to show yet other than the big hole!

That looks great, I would definitely like to try and do this myself. I am of the same ilk that it can't be complicated. 

One question I have which I haven't seemed to figure out. My architect obviously needs an SE for the house - but I am buying a SIPS kit would the supplier do the SE for the kit included in the price, then I just need an SE (like tanners)  for the passive raft? is that what you done @LA3222

1 hour ago, SuperJohnG said:

That looks great, I would definitely like to try and do this myself. I am of the same ilk that it can't be complicated. 

One question I have which I haven't seemed to figure out. My architect obviously needs an SE for the house - but I am buying a SIPS kit would the supplier do the SE for the kit included in the price, then I just need an SE (like tanners)  for the passive raft? is that what you done @LA3222

In a nutshell, yes.

Architect is the overarching bod who has been pulling everything together.  I decided on a SIP company and they did all the load calculations/SE stuff which they then gave to me.  I passed this onto TSD who then did the foundation design for me based on the ground bearing capacity and the loading of the SIP build.

This all got fed back to the architect who amended his drawings accordingly so it shows the SIP structure and foundations on it.

This drawing went to the SIP company whose in house team then use it as a starting point to work out panels etc.

I have done a lot of tweaking of the design directly with the SIP designer, moving doors/windows slightly, moving other bits and bobs.  Ince that is all done I will sign off to say I'm happy and then any issues later on, the fault lies with me?‍♂️

With the foundation design, I just sent Tanners drawings to Kore and they worked to that.

It has been fairly straight forward to be fair so far, I sometimes wonder as to the value of the architect in all this, but then I suppose the foundation people are only interested in the foundation, the SIP people are only interested in the SIP so that leaves me and the architect to stitch it all together into a cohesive plan.

50 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

In a nutshell, yes.

Architect is the overarching bod who has been pulling everything together.  I decided on a SIP company and they did all the load calculations/SE stuff which they then gave to me.  I passed this onto TSD who then did the foundation design for me based on the ground bearing capacity and the loading of the SIP build.

This all got fed back to the architect who amended his drawings accordingly so it shows the SIP structure and foundations on it.

This drawing went to the SIP company whose in house team then use it as a starting point to work out panels etc.

I have done a lot of tweaking of the design directly with the SIP designer, moving doors/windows slightly, moving other bits and bobs.  Ince that is all done I will sign off to say I'm happy and then any issues later on, the fault lies with me?‍♂️

With the foundation design, I just sent Tanners drawings to Kore and they worked to that.

It has been fairly straight forward to be fair so far, I sometimes wonder as to the value of the architect in all this, but then I suppose the foundation people are only interested in the foundation, the SIP people are only interested in the SIP so that leaves me and the architect to stitch it all together into a cohesive plan.

@LA3222 Thanks for that. 

I did discuss this with my architect this morning, as they have  an in house Project engineer (structural) who will tie it all together. But I believe I can't get away from this as we have SER up here in Scotland (I don't know where you are?) and someone needs to sign it all off. I haven't read up quite enough about SER yet. But feel like I am paying three times for a structural engineer which is a pain. What sort of costs as involved in getting Tanners to do design if you don't mind me asking?   

Hopefully you won't need 3 engineering inputs.  For our build, also in Scotland, the SER engineer did pretty much everything. They designed and signed off the timber frame and also signed off on the use and specification of the passive slab (designed by others, but as a design and supply contract).

6 hours ago, jamieled said:

Hopefully you won't need 3 engineering inputs.  For our build, also in Scotland, the SER engineer did pretty much everything. They designed and signed off the timber frame and also signed off on the use and specification of the passive slab (designed by others, but as a design and supply contract).

Thanks  @jamieled who was supplying and designing your passover slab? I haven't seen it talked about much here in Scotland but I haven't really looked that hard into it yet. Was your SER engineer separately hired or architect appointed?  Or something else? 

I can see if there were any later failings of a TF kit then the supplier, straight away, would throw in some cock and bull story that this could be due to the adoption of a foundation / slab detail as not recommended by them. If nothing else just to muddy the waters and cast doubt. This is always a risk where there's split responsibilities.

@SuperJohnG AFT provided the design and supply of insulation for the slab. Groundworks and installation were done by a local groundworks firm with me keeping an eye!

The SER was recommended by the architect, but appointed by me. They had previous experience of both passive slabs and engineered timber, both of which we used in our build.

• Like 1