Depth of cladding (stand-off from block wall).

epsilonGreedy

When laying my garage foundation footing blocks I incorporated a 100mm peninsular at each end of the southern wall as a provision for decorative wood cladding on that wall only. The other 3 walls will be brick faced. The idea of the peninsular is that the cladding will, I hope, tuck neatly up to the protruding brick peninsular and so not require any trim edging pieces at either end of the wall.

The cladding will be horizontal overlapping board in a rustic barn style.

Before I continue and lay further foundation courses I wanted to check if the combined depth of the cladding and supporting battens will exceed the 100mm peninsular protrusion?

The cladding will be 1 story high and hang on a medium weigh block cavity wall with no insulation or membrane. This design exists in my head hence I do not have a technical drawing to refer to and so for example I do not know what batten size is required for this job. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

For horizontal cladding, fix 38 x 50 battens at min 600 (prefer 400) centres.  If you find this will stick out too much, use 25 x 50 battens.

Although I am a few months away from this job would I be correct in thinking roof grade (pink) battens are recommended?

As long as they are pressure treated and good quality (fairly knot free, straight, no splits) it does not matter.  The BS ones are graded to ensure the safety of people working on the roof, as well as the ability to support the roof covering.  You may find 38 x 50 less available as BS.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

As long as they are pressure treated and good quality (fairly knot free, straight, no splits) it does not matter.  The BS ones are graded to ensure the safety of people working on the roof, as well as the ability to support the roof covering.  You may find 38 x 50 less available as BS.

While at a builder's merchant the other day I overheard the claim they changed the colour to pink so that inspectors can eyeball roof construction conformance from ground level ?

Certified roofing battens are mainly pink here, now.  They were green when we did our roof, then switched to bright blue when were needed more for the cladding.  AFAICS the requirement is just that they be dyed a distinctive colour so that roofers can easily see that they are safe to walk on.

32 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

While at a builder's merchant the other day I overheard the claim they changed the colour to pink so that inspectors can eyeball roof construction conformance from ground level ?

That is correct. It ensures that both the quality standard is adhered to, and roofers can be assured that there is a minimum standard for safety purposes.

For cladding, you need a tanalised batten to ensure longevity, but they don't have to be graded so you may be able to find them cheaper as pure non-graded stock but would expect you are talking the difference between 45p/m and 42p/m which in the scheme of things is irrelevant.

Assuming you are installing these vertically, you will also need an insect mesh at the bottom to stop anything such as wasps using the space for nesting.