Critique my plan!

Hello again - I posted some time ago about my small build garden plot with the tricky parking and am pleased that my new neighbours and I have similar ideas with regard to parking. We're hoping the planners will be in agreement when we submit for full planning though my architect is suggesting I might have to submit a whole new application as this plan differs quite a bit from the outline plan which has been approved. 

I'm currently working with the architect and this is our first draft. North is where the front door is. 

I'd prefer the kitchen area to be the opposite end of the living area - so that it is adjacent to the bathroom and I'd like patio doors on the west side and smaller patio doors where he's put the current bifolds. 

Any glaring omissions I might be unaware of? 

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 12.02.08.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 12.01.45.png

• Like 1

It would be useful to see how the 2 floors (and especially the walls) register, and perhaps the elevations. 

Looks good that you are not being constrained by the box you were given when you started.

That staircase looks a bit head-bumpy afaics, and there may be (perhaps) complications with flat-roof to wall joints if that is what it is.

Are those your spaces or next doors spaces at the front? If next-doors, what did you get in return?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

The location on site looks a bit odd in relation to the existing houses you have shown,

I presume that its on a corner / junction and there are other houses to the north of the site, do these share the western building line of the proposed house?

• Bedroom 1 doesn't have any windows?
  • Some councils may require that you can turn a car around on site, and leave in first gear. This may not be so much of an issue if its quiet roads.
  • Kitchen looks too narrow with the area jutting out of that space, i think that you are right on changing the kitchen to the eastern side of the house, wraping around the wall
  • shower room doesn't have any windows?
  • I would make bed 2 window bigger, how about an roof light on the west side?
  • The downstairs bathroom looks too small how do you get to the sink over the shower?

Thank you for your thoughts. 

It's true that it does stick out a bit more than the other row of houses that run to the north of the site and might be refused on those grounds - the outline was approved in line with the western side house row - it was more forward and parking for both houses was at the back. There was a previous application similar to this one now which was refused but the planning officer has changed and it has been mentioned [though of course not guaranteed] that they prefer the previous application. 

I'm quite short Ferdinand however I'll take this on board and see what can be done. 

He's  not put windows on as yet - bed 1 will have french doors, bed 2 will  have a south facing window and a west facing velux.

Upstairs bathroom will have a velux - I'm wondering about a dormer - cost is a consideration but then I'm planning to live here for a long time.  

Thank you moonshine for agreeing with my change of kitchen end - I'd also like to put in a log burner in the living area but siting it isn't simple. 

There'll be a velux on the east side where the stairs are to get the morning sun. 

Downstairs shower room might be able to incorporate the understairs space - it looks like there's a hallway cupboard there. 

41 minutes ago, simplepimple said:

I'm quite short Ferdinand however I'll take this on board and see what can be done. 

Height above stairs will be bound by Building Regulations' requirements, anyway. If he is an architect he will have complied with those.

It was more about asking for more detail of the plans so we can see how it all fits together - a 3d angled view from above (technically called an "axonometric" by architects) would be good too ?. The more info we have, the better feedback you get.

The one thing that I think immediately is to go for side-by-side parking not tandem (unless they won't allow that, in which case I would make the drop kerb very generous in width and do it in a couple of years anyway).

Where are you with the plot purchase - have you bought it yet, or have you got a lock-in agreement with next door, such that he can't back out?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

He's definitely an architect - so hopefully the stairs will be ok. 

I guess he doesn't want to provide more guidance until I get back to him with my thoughts which I've not done yet - and I thought it wise to ask for additional views before we move on. 

I'll get my builder to have a look at it too - however he's the family member who sometimes tells me that it can't be done when what he really means is that he doesn't want to do it that way. Bless him. 

Thank goodness I have this forum to tell me otherwise - though of course I do want to keep it simple for him too. ?

Parking - side by side would probably be fine as that was how it is on the current approved outline plan however for personal preference I'd like to maximise garden to the side where the bedroom is rather than parking - it's only me living there - so one car and another space for visitors so there shouldn't be issues with having to move to let anyone else out. I like the idea of being able to park close to my front door although I do appreciate its quite tight width wise and whilst I always prefer to reverse in that won't be best here as  I'll probably have to park close to the garage next door to leave me enough room to get out. 

My poor passengers will have to get out before I park. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Are those your spaces or next doors spaces at the front? If next-doors, what did you get in return?

Those are my spaces - although I hesitate to mention that we agreed the sale of the land with the existing parking so with next doors adjacent to mine and we have agreed to do a land swap for the space at the front - where they currently park. This is why the garden is a bit zig-zaggy there - so that they can retain their parking spaces. I imagine I will still need to create their driveways as per existing approval - they've said I can access their mains drain temporarily too so there will be some digging there and I'm keen to maintain good relations with them. 

The architect has also shown their shed [which I also have to provide] on their driveway but I'd imagine they'll want that in their back garden. 

2 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Just looked at this again, and i would have the big bifold doors opening the other way (to the east), as when they are fully open they will be blocking some passage into the main part of the garden

Thanks Moonshine - I'm not a fan of bi-folds so it's likely to be a set of french doors on the south side and a set on the west side hopefully near to the south west corner of the house. If I was loaded I'd have some sort of corner door/window super set but french doors are fine. 

Thats a great idea PeterW - thank you. 

Not sure why he'd put a tank in there as I'll be having a combi boiler. I might put a bath along there instead and move the door. 

The other thing I've been considering which might impact on that is an UPstairs washing machine. ??

47 minutes ago, simplepimple said:

The other thing I've been considering which might impact on that is an UPstairs washing machine. ??

I know its just you in the house but.....don't do it, a washing machine on a internal timber floor will sound awful when it gets up to full spin.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moonshine said:

I know its just you in the house but.....don't do it, a washing machine on a internal timber floor will sound awful when it gets up to full spin.

I've put my washing machine upstairs and it is not that noisy.  It's one of the best things I have done. Washing machine and tumble dryer in my ensuite/dressing room.  Clothes off and into washer, straight into dryer (heat pump condenser) next to it and straight back in the wardrobe, revolutionised my laundry - and much quieter than having in my open plan lounge/kitchen.

The Americans do the the upstairs washing machine thing. I think its a great idea, along with having two dishwashers. It means a lot less loading and unloading. You just take stuff from one and when used put it into the other, using them like a cupboard. Fisher and Paykel do a drawer one which is the same width as a regular dishwasher. 

I'm liking the votes for the UPstairs washing machine which should fit nicely under the eaves. 

I've heard about the two dishwasher technique Jilly - very sensible - though I'll be happy with a slimline one - I've been without for so long - hand washing is pretty grim. ?

Thanks everyone for your comments and views. 

Interesting concept @Simplysimon - thank you - that would certainly give more room upstairs - I quite like bed 1 on that side as it's east facing and will have french doors instead of a window - moving it would mean I could only have a window on the north side. 

I know of someone though who dropped the ground floor ceiling height a little - it didn't look as bad as first thought and that gave quite a bit more room upstairs too. [not that I'm suggesting that's going to happen here.] 

I've been measuring it all out in my head and on the floor of where I'm currently staying. 

My neighbours have said they are happy with it which is all positive so now it's a case of whether the planning dept will be concerned about it being in front of the building line of the properties going the other way. 

My architect tells me he'll be submitting the plans this week. 

Time to look for a cheap rental nearby as my previous plan of having a static isn't going to work. It's too small. ?

Upstairs laundry not for me. I like a utility room where all the dirty stuff gets done but appreciate the space constraints on some builds.

Ditto for me on 2 dishwashers, when I first saw that it was in Jewish households where they kept strict rules.  I run my dishwasher every night whether or not its full, I have loads of plates and cutlery so not likely to run out. For me I can think of better things to spend money on in a kitchen than two dishwashers........now 2 fridges is another matter......I have large fridge and smaller freezer in kitchen and American side by side in the utility.  Works for me!