Kitchen cooker

Used one recently on a trip to Portugal. Despite the incomprehensible controls, and the largely warped and poor quality pans... I loved it. 100% converted.

I'm also all for eye level ovens. In my opinion it's much safer and easier to lift a heavy, hot pan out of an oven and worktop level than it is to reach down to floor level. We have a double but next time I'll have 2x single ovens at a slightly lower level... Partner can't see What's going on in the grill!

31 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I pointed out that you don't need to buy 'heavy' stuff with an induction hob as energy is spread across the base automatically.

Not my experience with our Siemens induction hob. With cheaper/thinner pans particularly, you can see the pattern of the coils underneath in the way (eg) water boils. You get a circular ring of heat on the circular pads (not heat in the middle with any of them), and a series of lines across the rectangular ones.

+1 on induction and eye level ovens (we have Siemens induction and the Neff hide & slide ones). 

What I love about induction is if a pan over-boils or splatters while cooking, you can just lift it off, wipe the glass and put it back down to continue cooking.

36 minutes ago, Conor said:

Used one recently on a trip to Portugal. Despite the incomprehensible controls, and the largely warped and poor quality pans... I loved it. 100% converted.

I'm also all for eye level ovens. In my opinion it's much safer and easier to lift a heavy, hot pan out of an oven and worktop level than it is to reach down to floor level. We have a double but next time I'll have 2x single ovens at a slightly lower level... Partner can't see What's going on in the grill!

We probably need to define eye level, here.

For me:

Below worktop is obvious, though using an upper shelf in t’oven makes a difference.

Worktop level is clear.

Eye level for me means wall cupboard height. Ie above about 1.4-1.5m

I would not put an oven at wall cupboard height, unless perhaps I was going to do the 4 or 5 oven thing, and the high level one was for lighter stuff.

On the OP, I currently have a range cooker .. a Rangemaster Kitchener 90 which was 999 from Curry’s. Gas burners, 2 ovens and absolutely fine for 5-6 years. Probably bog-standard for reasonable Range Cookers, and the bits that have loosened up are a slight vagueness in whether rotary  switches are in exact 1,2,3 position etc, and the chrome has worn of the spark button.

Previously it was a 4 oven Aga which included an extra 4 burner lpg gas hob.

Personally I would go with Induction, but I do not do the majority of the cooking.

If I was wanting decent and initially inexpensive eg if I had spent the kitchen budget on a House-fluffer for the previous place, it would be separates, as a decent unbranded 5 burner gas job can be under 100, or an eBay range cooker.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I always thought low/under counter ovens in commercial kitchens where more for better use for space than health and safety (door open trip hazard?), new purpose built commercial kitchens I more see waist height ovens on a frame even with casters (can be moved for cleaning) . 

I won't be swapping my heavy pans any time soon, I was watching a made in Britain program a few days ago and they where at netherton foundry looking at spun iron pans I was very impressed!

Edited by Alexphd1

Good quality stainless steel or cast iron pans are essential for induction. None of the induction compatible alloys or copper bottom pans. Induction hobs work by inducing heat in the pan so a solid bottom pan with a substantial amount of steel/iron is essential is generating heat and distributing heat evenly round the pan for best performance.

Try buying a budget induction compatible and you will soon find out how useless they are. We had to swap a good quality circulon induction compatible set with a stainless steel set just to make the most of the induction hob.